Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

morpheus21

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have an Eastern Small Blotched python that is not eating. It has just shed less than a week ago and previous to the sheding had not eaten for about 6 weeks. It is about 1 and a half years old and apprx a metre long. When it was eating it was having a fuzzie rat once a week. Have had this problem with him in the past when trying to feed it mice but found out it would only eat rats or mice scented with skinks. It is only since it is refusing rats now that i am worried and i havent been able to find any skinks to scent a mouse. On one of the online herp shops they had a product which was supposed to stimulate snakes feeding by smelling like lizard, thought it was reptilemart but checked and it was not there. Just wondering if anybody knows where I could get it and if anybody has had any success with it?

thanx

:p I have been told that skink smell in a bottle is not that good at all,have you tried live or fresh killed.The other thing i would suggest is try fish live or thawed even try scenting with fish. :p

Hi Morpheus,
Can't say I've used this 'skink in a bottle' stuff :?

But ...

We had success feeding live fish to our problematic childreni, an 8 month old female who refused everything and was being force fed every week. As soon as we threw in a live fish, she struck, coiled and immediately began consuming to our surprise. A few days afterward, we tried a live scented pink mouse, she took this also. :)

Another bizarre one, a water python of ours, took a defrosted rat, dunked in beef noodle juice. :shock:

I'm currently trying different scenting methods on our jungle python. I've tried LOTS of different methods on him, like shaving the rats, scenting with bird, skink, fush ....

Tonight I tries teh rat dunked in MILK :D

Good luck and hope your snake takes to feeding voluntarily once again!

???

spilota_chic said:
I've tried LOTS of different methods on him, like shaving the rats, scenting with bird, skink, fush ....

Boy! Talk about going to extremes! Why did you have to import New Zealand fish?? What's wrong with good old Aussie fish? :wink: :lol:

Hi,
the eastern small blocthed ate for me tonight. He had a defrosted fuzzy mouse that i left in his cage for a few minutes and he than ate it backwards. This is strange for him as he used just take the food from my hands instantly and previous time si have left food in his cage he has not touched it. Plus also tonight i was bitten for the first time by my coastal carpet, have had her for about a year, which is a bout 1m long and apprx one and a half years old, nopt as bad as when my small blocthed used to bite me as he would hold on and not let go for ages she just gave me a few scratches but i sure am glad she did not hold on. Only reason she bit me was because i had a mouse (which i didnt think she was going to eat but finally did) in her enclosure and she was all excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back