Eastern Tiger Snake pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zen

Eastern Tiger Snake - Notechis s. scutatus from the Blue Mountains, NSW.

97659Tiger_Snake_-_Mt.Vic_6_C.jpg

97659Tiger_Snake_-_Mt.Vic_22_C.jpg

Thanks guys.

Rich colours for a highland specimen.

Here's another shot of a threat display.

97659Tiger_Snake_-_Mt.Vic_35_C.jpg

She was not bluffing either.
From this position she struck about a metre towards the camera! :eek:
Just telling me not to get too close!.
Scared the daylights out of me.

Respect!

Love the threat display interesting colours - one of my fav snakes. I have not seen one like that before - were you actively looking for snakes or was it a chance encounter?

(How did you get it so cranky?)

peterescue said:
alexr said:
(How did you get it so cranky?)

its a tiger snake!

I live on the northern beaches Peter and I think alexr is almost local as well. Havent you heard that our local tigers are more chilled out than usual? :wink: In particular the Manly variety :wink:

Peters right there.

I didn't wind it up. Didn't need to! She was pretty cranky anyway.
These photos were taken eary in the morning so perhaps she was stroppy about being disturbed when she was still cold.
They're prone to get very defensive about cameras (& cameramen) being so close. Especially wild ones [snakes, not cameramen :wink: :lol:]

Alex, she was a chance encounter in Mount Victoria.

She was quite big, at least 5 foot I'd say.

yes, the old pussy cat Eastern Tigers from manly as per my avatar(lumpy)
Lumpy is improving all the time and can even swallow his own food now.

peterescue said:
yes, the old pussy cat Eastern Tigers from manly as per my avatar(lumpy)
Did I miss somthing - is Lumpy from manly?

All I see around here are RBB and Diamonds... and one Green Tree (I would love to see other vens but no luck yet...)

BTW olivehydra/Zen/Peterescue (or any other interested parties) I am going for a local herping trip / bushwalk on the 29th Jan with Pugsly and Linus if you want to tag a long or have any suggestions of trails please PM me.

Thanks for the offer Alex. Sounds like fun.
I'll PM you closer to the date to check where you're going, etc. :)

Great pics Zen. I have seen a real large one like that one at Blackheath that didn't have any yellow in it. It was more slatey grey (sort of? it was years ago) Will put another blotchy pic on that other thread, found it in my drive this morning.

Lovely tiger there zen, I used to speacalise in tigers years ago, one of my favorite snakes by far.
Kept a few tigers very simular from that animal thats origins came from the barrington tops. Hell at one stage I think I had over a hunderd of the dam things, all captive bred and I couldnt give them away as hardly anyone wanted them back then. Awsome animals and some were so tame I trusted free handling them way more than any carpet, back in my silly days of course not to be condoned these days.
PS, she is actually a he.

From the tail, Tigers are very easily sexed by a glance at the tail. Males have a very difinite hemipene bulge which sticks out like snakes balls.

Thanks guys. Glad you like the pics.

:oops: Sorry about the gender error there TrueBlue. Thanks for the correction.
I'm impressed that you can tell from the pics 8). The hats off :wink: .

They're great snakes for sure.
I've heard a story (can't remember the source) of a wild caught specimen that had been caught and free-handled by kids, thinking it was a python :!: :shock:
This kid had mates over after school to show them his new "python".
His mother decided after a while to ring WIRES to ID it.
When the snakecatcher came it was draped around the boys neck :!:
Kiddies don't try this at home! :lol:

I've heard many times, like TrueBlue said, of their remarkable tameability.

Copperheads and Red-bellies are also known for this placidity.
Like ALL snakes though, it's an individual thing.

This specimen was definitely NOT one of them though!.
Although it was wild & cornered and disturbed early in the day.
Not a good combo for a Tiger! (I'd react the same way! :wink: :lol:)

Seriously though, this is typical defensive behaviour of a cornered Tiger Snake.

I'll put some more pics up soon.
Does anyone else have Tiger pics laying dormant in their archives or stories such as this?

beautiful snake! wouldn't want to get bitten by one but still amazing snakes. interested to know if some one got a newly hatched tiger and handled it(probably with somesortof protective gloves) if it would become use to teh idea of being handled.

if i remember correctly australia zoo has/had a tame fearce snake(inland tiapan), steve pretty much free handled it, i think it was wes's snake as steve asked him about the snake before handling it.

andrew

Hi Zen,

I was interested in your little story on the kids handling the tiger snake. Are you from Wollongong? I think I may actually be that Kid!!!

It was 1977 and I was in year 8 at Dapto High School. We went on an excursion to Minnamurra Falls (near Jamberoo).

We were allowed to roam around the creek so I headed off a little further than the others. I discovered a snake. It looked like a python to me (I knew nothing about them really) so I picked it up. It was very placid. Probably cold.

I took it back to the group and, being kids, thay started poking & prodding. Eventually the snake had enough and bit a girl by the name of Helen Musto. On that I let him go because I knew he had had enough.

being a python, we thought nothing more until about 40 minutes later Helen started vomitting. The teachers asked me about the snake and they rushed her off to hospital. she was OK but I had to write up a big report to hand in at school the next day.

I know that the story is different but stories definitely grow over time.

Serpentongue may know about it. He also went to Dapto High.

Cool pics zen, and I love these stories too! Keep them coming.
My mum's told me a story about a kid on a farm picking up a handful of hatchling browns and bringing them back to the house saying something like "look I've found worms!" with the mother brown following along behind. Naturally the kid's father took the hatchys, threw them, grabbed the kid, took him inside and shut the door quite quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back