Eastern Water Dragons aren't easy to find in the US

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

euparkeria

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. :) I'm new to to this site. I joined because it looks like people here really know what they're talking about (especially in what concerns enclosure construction).

I have a Chinese Water Dragon named Richard. Every since I got him, I've been curious about EWD's. They are hard to find in the States, and I've been asking around for people around here who have a breeding pair, with no success.

I know that Australia has laws against exporting animals.

I just wanted to say that you are all lucky to be able to find EWD's so easily! I see so many photos of them in people's backyards and swimming pools. Australia is so rich in exciting wildlife that it makes me quite jealous!

Are CWD's relatively easy to obtain in Australia? I'm just curious.

probably but only illeagaly
we arent allowed to import either

so you can only own native animals

and for our sake please only buy hatchling animals the are from aus once you have seen the breeding set up to make sure they are not illeagaly exported cuz i know it happens. ewd are pretty yes but no good for handleing and can be very agrresive they also get over a meter long you really need a big enclosure or an aviery especially as they are arboreal and also requer enough water to be able to submerge themselfs and swim in.

If I got a EWD, it would certainly be captive-bred. There are a handful of people here who have EWD's.

I had the impression that EWD's were roughly the size of CWD's. I had no idea they could be very aggressive. My male CWD is extremely docile.

i have 2 little guys and they are skitz.... nuts..... crazy. you cant get near them.
but they are every where near my house. in the bush. some stunning ones.
and they are so cheap to buy here. i got mine for $30 but i know alot of ppl who just give them away.

People here pay hundreds of dollars to get their hands on an EWD. A friend of mine sold a mature male for $300. Unfortunately, that was before we became friends :-(

we are haveing trouble selling them in aus cuz nobody wants the little blighters as i said sure their pretty but they dont make great pets.

how big does a cwd get??

a juvanile ewd will go from 10 cm long to 1.2, 1.3 meters in about 2 years they can get bigger but its really rare.

Blighters :) What a cool word.

According to Tricia's Water Dragons (she's considered an authority on them), male CWDs reach 92cm in total length, while females reach 61cm in total length.

Here's a link to a cool picture of an EWD and a CWD that belong to the same person (her name is "nomi maybe" on Flickr): http://www.flickr.com/photos/nomi/461939812/in/set-72057594060371111/

From what i have read CWD are much more flighy than the aussie ones, they will get used to ppl quite well although not many seem to tolerate handling well. They are very common in Brisbane and i have recently had one move into my yard, otherwise 500m away there are heaps living near the creek. I have seen some really big ones that appear to be being fed by ppl, one i saw was about 1m long and probably about double fatness of a normal one. They are one species that thrive in urban areas and there are feral populations in Adlelaide and Melbourne. I think its probably a good thing they arnt common in the US because they would be likely to become a pest.

Maybe one of you can drop a EWD in the mail for me. I'll take them off your hands.

I jest. :)

Where I'm from, the most exciting reptiles you could run into in urban areas are anoles and ground skinks. Well, my aunt also found coral snakes in her backyard, but she lives in the suburbs. If you leave the suburbs, you can run into a diamondback rattlesnake quite easily.

Still not as cool as big lizards, though.

Beardy boy these small colonies r along the torrens,,,,,it's not looking to good at the moment as ya see on the news......electric fault with the pumps and pumped the torrens dry..full of car body's,shopping trolley's and other foreign stuff , and now they have the stinky mud!!!!

bert langerwerf used to breed thousands of eastern waterys annually,unfortunatly he passed away recently but he was a big breeder from alabama in the us,there out there if u look,just that cwd,s are wild caught so are more your pet store staple

Yes, I am aware that Bert Langerwerf bred EWDs. I had no idea he had passed away. I guess I'll have to plan a little stop in Alabama.

When I say that EWDs aren't easy to find, what I mean is that almost no one around here has even heard of EWDs. I've spoken to exotics dealers that just look at me like I'm crazy.

Just curious, I have no idea what you can get in the U.S
but are there many Frilled Neck Lizards available over there in the states?

If you can get them, Id go for a Frillie over a EWD.
IMO, they are a much more interesting and better looking lizard.

Here is a few photos of one of mine to tempt you ;)

Attachments

• Frilly Ruffles roar.jpg
    Frilly Ruffles roar.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Frilly Ruffles roar 2.jpg
    Frilly Ruffles roar 2.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Frilly Ruffles rat.jpg
    Frilly Ruffles rat.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 61
I've run into plenty of Americans (on other forums) who own Frilled Neck Lizards, so I imagine you can find them, but just as with EWDs, I wouldn't be surprised if you had to go a distance to get your hands on one.

I have no idea how receiving live reptiles in the mail works. I should read up on that.

I've only ever seen one in a zoo. :oops: Then again, the only EWD I've ever seen in person was in a zoo, too. hahaha

just a few weeks ago got myself a ewd... his name is humphry... lol he is only 6 weeks old but eating well and seems happy. just built up a tank about 1500x800x700... went over the top with it but shood last him a year or so. i also have beardies but i think the ewd is a whole different ball game. the behaviour is so different... almost hyper. but alot more savage hunter than my other 2. good luck.:D[hum.jpghump.jpg

they arent that uncommon in the US. i know a few people who breed plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back