eBay woes.... My virginity in fraud!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Well - it's finally happened... I've been duped... I've been fraudulated and I feel so dirty and used....

In 64 (odd) purchases on eBay (yes, I'm quite a beginner I know, but those are nearly 64 different people/shops - I was thinking I am a bit of an eBay gigolo!).

But finally... After these purchases I have been ripped off!

I had become quite complacent I admit. I used to check everyone's negative/positive feedback and that would determine my purchase (often). The very first time I didn't check it - I honestly mean that.... I have been done out of my hard earned cash ($44 - I know... that's HUGE) by a fraudster named Gregory Smith (clearly a fake name - I mean who would call their son Gregory???).

I have emailed Mr Smith.... I have phoned Mr Smith.... and I have had no joy what-so-ever.

I have begun action - but that's like 35 days away before that's resolved... and I'm $44 poorer!!!

What alerted me to the fraud?

He took my money... He even sent that the item had been posted (via eBay - you can check a box that says item posted and it forwards an email to the recipient). A tracking number (fake) was even included so I wouldn't investigate.... I mean, post is pretty slow up these parts.

But then... to save the negative feedback from me (and clearly others) he removed the item even though it had been purchased!!!

I was then sent a letter by eBay saying this and suggesting 'Don't Pay!!!"

Ummmmmm.... A bit late there!!! I paid 10 minutes after I won the auction because I am a good customer! And I want my 100% positive feedback as a buyer or a seller (I am very particular about that - I'd feel suicidal if I got a negative).

So I am out of pocket and I don't have a PS3 controller (white) either from this seller and I feel like crying....

I'm still going to use eBay because 1/64 isn't that bad!

Do you have similar stories? Worse ones? Want to donate to the slim6y 'buy him a ps3 controller (white)' fund? Or just want to brag how you use better sites like Ozotion or the like?

Well, thanks for reading my sad story... Hope we all learn from this!

Sorry to hear this Slim................... I once attempted to make a purchase from e-bay on a buy-it-now item. It was an 8g SD Card to replace the one a friend's dog had 'eaten' while in the UK. I hit the button, got my confirmation it was mine, and got the directions on how to pay (I always pay by getting their bank details and going to a branch of that particular bank to pay it, won't use any other method. Well, the saga started, to cut it short, they sent an automated message on numerous occasions to join their store listing in order to continue with purchase (nothing about this had been mentioned onthe original listing for the item).
I TOLD the peanuts every couple of days that I wont join, it wasn't part of the purchase agreement......... just give me the details on where to pay it, and I gladly would. Ended up being reported to ebay for non payment, flippin cheek! Almost got a bad strike against me for that one! It ended up in dispute resolution, and finally, I was released from the purchase!
Learned my lesson there!!!!!

Hope you get your money back!

I didn't end up losing my money, but I thought I was going to....which made me feel sick enough.
As soon as I won the auction I got this sick feeling in my stomach when I realised I hadn't checked their feedback. Which is something I normally do. When I checked, they had NO feedback!
My item was $147.50.
I finally got my item, weeks later, but only after sending several emails, and getting no response to most of them. The couple of responses I did get were full of stupid excuses, like 'sorry, I sent the item to the wrong address' PPFFTT!! I then commenced a dispute action with Ebay.
Ebay have no teeth at all with this type of thing. All they can do is cancel the account of the non-payer. And then this person could just open a new one from another computer. I was able to search on Facebook and find a relative of this person - I would have chased this avenue up if I'd had to. The other thing I did was lodge a disputed transaction form with my bank. They may or may not have returned my money - luckily it didn't get that far
Yes, I could use Paypal, but I don't like it or the fees, so I don't.
I am also annoyed with myself because I gave them good feedback (probably because I was so relieved to finally get my item).
A month or so later I got an email from another ebayer who had not received an item they paid for - from the same seller.
And yet I still use Ebay....

Yep got to love fleabay.I have been ripped of before.I was buying one of those magic bullets for my sister for a present,thought i got a good deal at only $45,only to find out he was de-registered the next day.And he had the hide to leave me good feedback.Oh you wouldnt want to leave ebay and not have good feedback LOL.

Ps Xbox's are better lol.

shelfisch - I looked to make sure my fellow (G. Smith) had some feedback, I just didn't look to see if it was all positive :(

He had 42.... But 3 negatives... And those negatives (if I had read) would have stopped me buying the controller.

The negatives were (I'll copy and paste):

1) Fake Sony Controller.. Made in China, Very cheap & poor chinese quality!
His reply:
All Sony controller packaging says made in China. 100% Sony original product.

2) Controller is Fake. Doesnt sync, does't stop charging. rattles, R3 L3 very hard
His reply:
Definitely not a fake. This customer tried to illegally mod chip the controller

3) Counterfeit. not genuine. internals are Garbage. If you want GENUINE BUY ELSEWHE
His reply:
Definitely a liar. Totally gave himself away trying to mod chip the controller.

4) not to sure if the controller is genuine. works ok though (neutral comment so no reply)

If I had read this I would never have gone through with the purchase!

I use PayPal because there are NO fees when you're the buyer!!! Plus the safety.

Right now the case is open and I'd say I'll get my money back... But I still need a PS3 controller!

dont be so sure about geting your money back , paypal might favour in your way - but paypal have to ask the seller (G. Smith) to return the money - they just cant pull it out of his bank account .
i know because i have been dudded by ebay and paypal before . if G. Smith duznt have funds in his paypal account then kiss your money good by .
kinda why i dont use ebay anymore - too many scammers.

ZOOJAS thanks for the depressing information :(

The PayPal account for donations to the "slim6y - buy him a ps3 controller (white)' fund" is [email protected]

I better get my money back because otherwise I'm going to go very angry and waggle my finger at people at PayPal!

I am reading this about PayPal:

PayPal Buyer Protection

PayPal Buyer Protection helps you if you don't receive your item or the item is significantly different from its description in the seller's listing. Eligible transactions are covered up to the full purchase price and original postage charges. Certain categories are excluded, including vehicles in the Motors category, capital equipment in the Business & Industrial category, items in the Adult Only category, Real Estate, and Live Auctions.

An item is covered by PayPal Buyer Protection if it meets the following eligibility requirements:

You purchase your item on eBay.

You use PayPal to pay for the item.

You use the seller's email address associated with the listing. To ensure this, use the Pay Now button when the eBay listing ends.

The seller's eBay listing is for a physical item. Services and intangible items aren't covered.

You file only one claim per PayPal payment.

You open the case within 45 days of the PayPal payment and escalate it to a claim if needed within 20 days of opening the case.

You meet the PayPal Buyer Protection requirements outlined in the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy.

So far I get a big 'tick' - I'm eligible!

The last one - 'outlined in the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy' I am still looking for.

To qualify for PayPal Buyer Protection:

* Use PayPal to purchase an eligible item on eBay.
* Pay for the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments are not eligible.
* Send the payment using the Pay Now button or the eBay invoice.
* Let the seller know there's a problem with the transaction by opening a dispute in the Resolution Centre within 45 days of the payment date. Then, escalate the dispute to a claim within 20 days of the date you opened the dispute.
* Keep your PayPal account in good standing.

I think I am safe - I think they'll have to "pull it out of his bank account" :)

I assume insurance is where they win???

I will let you know soon what the outcome is.

Sorry - you're right ZOOJAS....

"If your purchase meets the requirements for the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy (set out in paragraph 4 below), PayPal may try to recover your payment from the seller, ie to attempt to reverse the PayPal transaction. IMPORTANT: If you are eligible under PayPal's Buyer Protection Policy, and you claim that the item purchased is "significantly not as described" or you did not receive the item PayPal may attempt to recover your payment from the seller, but recovery of your payment, whether in whole or in part, is not guaranteed. "

Paypal will refund you and deduct the funds from the sellers Paypal account. If he dosn't have funds in there he will become -$44 in debit.

Been through this myself.
If he can't prove by reciept that he posted the item to you then you will be refunded.
It's just a major stuff around going through the process. I had a dispute last 3 months before I was refunded.
I tried to get a refund from a seller as the item was crap and the seller tried to say I never returned the goods.
Even though I had the postage reciept proving I returned the item it still took months of stuff arsing around.

Last edited:
I lost $64 as a seller to a dodgy buyer.
In short...Sold my DJ decks, posted them COD only to have the buyer keep making excuses like, I went in and it wasn't there. Next time, they couldn't find it. Rang Aus post and confirmed it had arrived, the correct post office, and a staff member name who knew exactly where it was in the storage room. Rang him back said he would go in in a day or two. Waited and called him back, same excuse apparently it wasn't there. Told him I know it is there confirmed he was going to the right post office and gave him the name of staff member who knows the item. Next thing the decks are returned a little while later and I have to pay postage down and back. Because 31 days lapsed while waiting for buyer contact, postage, him to pick it up, then Aus Post to send money order to me, Ebay won't do anything about it. Not happy. DJ Decks are listed again and hopefully will get some postage money back.

If you sell anything and option COD, ask for 2 X times postage to cover yourself if it's a dodgy buyer.

Cheers,
Allan

ZOOJAS thanks for the depressing information :(

The PayPal account for donations to the "slim6y - buy him a ps3 controller (white)' fund" is [email protected]

I better get my money back because otherwise I'm going to go very angry and waggle my finger at people at PayPal!
im not tryingto depress u , just letting u know what could happen .
i lost $1600 through ebay/paypal scammer . i dont use either anymore .

The seller won't be responsible for the refund.
Paypal will just take it straight from the sellers account. The seller if no funds are present, will have to fix paypal up for the debit before they can use the account again. I have been on both sides as a buyer and a seller and this is how it worked.

I was stung as I sold an item, the buyer recieved it and even left me positive feedback (at which point I threw away the postal reciept as transaction had finished in my mind).
About 2 weeks later he opened a dispute saying it was never recieved. Paypal asked for proof of postage and as it was posted regular post and I threw away the reciept I couldn't prove it. The buyer was given a refund and my account was into debit. I had to transfer funds from my bank account over to Paypal account to fix the debt before I could purchase anything on Ebay via paypal as the account was temporarily on hold. My advice for Ebay/Paypal...When selling send everything via registered post. When buying, pay the extra $3 for registered post. It is so easy to be ripped off through the dispute resolution so keep all reciepts for atleast 3 months in a jar (you should anyway) just to cover your backside.

Last edited:
A problem I have is I purchased from a store on Ebay and they added me to their mailing list.
I get approx 2 newsletters a day and there is no option to unsubscribe. If you reply to the email it just gets returned. It really P! me off because I only bought a cheap $18 item and now they bug me every single day. Damn you ShoppingSquare.COM.AU - Division of Apus Corporation Pty Ltd

If anyone knows how to get off these newsletters I would love to hear

This email was sent to ......................................
because you are registered the ShoppingSquare.com.au or ApusAuction.com.au newsletter. To
unsubscribe from the list, please click here.
Copyright © 2007 Apus Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Shoppingsquare
and the Shoppingsquare logo are trademarks of Apus Corporation.

But there is nowhere to freaking click god damn it!

Last edited:
My name is Dee (im a male) and its often assumed by people over the net that im a female... I once bought a set of female golf clubs for my girlfriend (now wife) from a male seller on ebay, After i won the clubs, I sent a breif message regerding my schedule and when i can pick the item up etc.

A few hours later, I got back a rather lengthy flitatious message from the seller, which basically read, my gf left me, for a rich businessman, he would like to take me out for a game of golf one day, and i quote 'show me a few things" and ended in 'ill tell you more, over a few drinks when you come by ' Looking foward to meeting you regards Jonathan.

I messaged back, Sounds great. Would it be ok if I bring my girlfriend along as well. see yau at 7pm, Cant wait. Dee

I showed up at the door alone (wife was in the car), The look on his face when I said "how are ya, my name is Dee" was priceless. you could tell he wasnt expecting a 110kg male skinhead, with a gotti.
:).

Cheers
Mr Dee

that's gold voodoo - pure gold!!!

I assume you did say "Now are you going to show me a thing or two?"

I am a seller and buyer on ebay... When I buy I ALWAYS without fail check for 100% feedback.

As a buyer I have not yet experienced the hassle of not receiving an item that i have infact paid for. Thankfully

I have however had some trouble as a seller. For example

I sold a Ds Game that was in perfect working order and matched the item description to a T. But the lady who had showed great communication through the whole transaction refused to leave any feedback even after I had left positive feedback saying she was a good payer etc... ( NOT a Big deal I know as I still have my 100% buyer/seller rating)

But when I first started selling on ebay I listed a playstation 2, which included a few games, 2 controllers, The Eye toy and multi tap stand, dance mats and numerous other accessories. I marked the item as sell within Australia Only due to the size the parcel would be and not wanting to pay more in postage fee's than I would actually sell the item for. Eventaully I sold the item and when I checked someone in Africa had bought it at the buy it now price.

They then proceeded to ask me to send the item to some other country and to provide my account details so they could pay for the item once received... ( I don't think so ) I ended up reporting this to ebay and relisting the item. Again someone from Africa selected the buy it now price... In the end I gave up listing the item but ended up with $20 in selling fee's for an item that I couldn't sell because people would either not read the listing properly or just didn't care that I had said I don't want to sell anywhere other than Australia.

So I hear you. Ebay can be nothing but trouble for buyers and sellers. Luckily there is the vast majority that will do the right thing.

Well geez, just goes to show you should never judge a thread by it's title. I thought this was about your virginity somehow being defrauded :lol:

And you are disappointed, right? :lol:
Shhhh :oops:

Gotta love Ebay dramas. The first time I sold something online I managed to attract one of the Ebay cliches. No, not the "please send all your bank details to us", it was even better. The old "I'm on an oil tanker and can't get to the bank, can you please send me some money to pay for the Western Union transfer" scam :D

Compared to you I'm a true Ebay virgin Slim6y....I've only bought off Ebay twice, off the same person both times. At least I'm not the 64 time dirty stop out that you are ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back