eBay woes.... My virginity in fraud!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shhhh :oops:

Gotta love Ebay dramas. The first time I sold something online I managed to attract one of the Ebay cliches. No, not the "please send all your bank details to us", it was even better. The old "I'm on an oil tanker and can't get to the bank, can you please send me some money to pay for the Western Union transfer" scam :D

Compared to you I'm a true Ebay virgin Slim6y....I've only bought off Ebay twice, off the same person both times. At least I'm not the 64 time dirty stop out that you are ;)

I know I am the eBay w hore!!!

I've never been scammed before - normally I'm way to careful... But this one lapse really has put a dent in my naivety...

Live and learn I say!

Well, just to cheer you all up...I won a $2 picture of mickey mouse for my daughters room, when I went to pick it up, the lady had a house full of stuff she wanted to get rid of...She said that she usually just puts stuff she doesn't want on the street for someone to take but her friend told her to use ebay, but the picture cost $1.50 to list so she wasn't gonna bother with it and if I wanted anything else I could have it... I ended up leaving with a car full of stuff and had to go back with a trailor to get a seasame street bed, a kids pinball machine and more

I have about 200 transactions as a buyer on Ebay and have only been dudded twice - the first was by someone who had 100% positive feedback and then was deregistered the day after I paid, the second was some Thunderbirds toys which were coming by boat from the UK - they never arrived but by that time it was too late to open a dispute.... after this I only pay for airmail at least you know you should get it within weeks rather than months.
I have found that most sellers are genuine but checking the feedback always helps.

. When buying, pay the extra $3 for registered post. It is so easy to be ripped off through the dispute resolution so keep all reciepts for atleast 3 months in a jar (you should anyway) just to cover your backside.
also add the person to person delivery on it. The person who the item is addressed then has to show id when signing for the item to prove its them

tried to get scammed once by an ebay store for one of them angelcare baby monitors(the ones that detect heartbeat/movement, top product btw) paid by CC over the phone and was told it would be expressed the next day. AFter 3 weeks of stuffing around with him saying my cheque didnt clear then he lost my payment, i got my CC statement with the business name on it. Done a business search to find out the registered owners name. CRossed that with whitepages and the surrounding area, found the owner and threatened to come pay a visit over the fraud(never intended on it) Voila the next day here was my item in an express bag then left him negative which he left for me. Had others that had purchased off him so i gave them all the personals and guess what they soon received all their items.

I am a seller and buyer on eBay and only twice I have been "attempted" to be frauded/money stolen.

The first was back in 2004, I was selling my beloved 1977 Datsun 180B.
Got an email from a guy in the UK saying that he want to buy it and bring it over to the UK. He said he was away on "business" in some country in Africa.
So he sent me a cheque for the amount I wanted plus an extra $4000 for the shipping.
I took the cheque to the bank to see what they thought of it as I thought it was a little dodgey.
They said they wouldn't be able to tell if it was legit until they tried to process it (as it had bank water marks etc).
I decided to hold off cashing it (as it was going to be $40 just to try and process it) and see what he has to say.
I get a phone call from him asking how I have went with the cheque, I told him it was going to take 4-7 weeks for it to clear. He then goes and says that he needs some of the shipping money sent to his "shipper" via western union, I said I can do that but only once the cheque is cleared.
Long story short I ended up calling off the deal as he was starting to get a bit pushy about getting some money to his shipper even tho I'd have to wait ages for the cheque to clear.

2nd one was a faulty PS2 that I couldn't fix, so i put it on saying that it was faulty and I have no idea what was wrong with it as I am not a electronic technician.
Sold it and then the buyer said he wanted his money back because it was faulty. I told them that the item description was that it was faulty and sold as is with no refunds. Tried to get pushy through phone calls.
He didn't get a cent.

But yeah, never had any other issues being a seller or buyer in my 130 odd items i have bought or sold.

i've been duped a couple of times, bought a ps3 agesssssssssss ago when they were first coming out. $600. paid by paypal. the day after, i got one of those notes saying 'do not buy!' and the seller had deregistered,etc.

but yea, started a claim, and ending up getting my money back 2 weeks later :)
so all was well.

also bought a couple of collectable dolls, worth a couple $100... couldnt start a claim because the paypal time had elapsed, but started a claim through my bank, and ended up getting my money back that way :)

Ahhhh - so some good news maybe Ravan???

I also phoned my bank last night and they're onto it as well... So I do not yet know the outcome and have till 21 April before PayPal said they'll get back to me.

But - I'm still on eBay - looking for a micro SD card now :)

alot of the microsd cards on ebay are chinese ripoffs and have a high(well for me))failure rate. Try some of the cheaper computer stores i picked up a 4g microsd for under $20 the other week

I showed up at the door alone (wife was in the car), The look on his face when I said "how are ya, my name is Dee" was priceless. you could tell he wasnt expecting a 110kg male skinhead, with a gotti.
:).

Cheers
Mr Dee

Thats is so funny, though so cruel at the same time :lol: :)

The sellers cant leave negative feedback anymore, quite a crock really as i sold a old portable DVD player and the buyer was too lazy to read the description and left negative feedback because it couldnt tune into TV channels... I cant leave them negative feedback in return. How rude is that!

200+ perfect feedback, and then all of a sudden ebay changes its feedback policy and im stuck with a unjust negative. Soooo wasnt pleased.

File a claim with paypal and they will investigate and refund your money themselves. I guess thats why paypal charges you those $1 fee's to withdraw the money etc. for cases like this.

My name is Dee (im a male) and its often assumed by people over the net that im a female... I once bought a set of female golf clubs for my girlfriend (now wife) from a male seller on ebay, After i won the clubs, I sent a breif message regerding my schedule and when i can pick the item up etc.

A few hours later, I got back a rather lengthy flitatious message from the seller, which basically read, my gf left me, for a rich businessman, he would like to take me out for a game of golf one day, and i quote 'show me a few things" and ended in 'ill tell you more, over a few drinks when you come by ' Looking foward to meeting you regards Jonathan.

I messaged back, Sounds great. Would it be ok if I bring my girlfriend along as well. see yau at 7pm, Cant wait. Dee

I showed up at the door alone (wife was in the car), The look on his face when I said "how are ya, my name is Dee" was priceless. you could tell he wasnt expecting a 110kg male skinhead, with a gotti.
:).

LMAO

Cheers
Mr Dee

LMAO also thats classic

l have used ebay and paypal for years without a problem , recieved stuff from all over the planet [ l collect knives and swords ] and apart from some late deliveries [ a punk lp my son bought took 6 weeks to get here from the UK via some town in the Virgin lslands even though it was clearly addressed ] . BUT l often get dodgy emails from scamers pretending to be Ebay customers , just report them , NEVER reply .

I've never had a problem with eBay.

Paypal on the other hand.....

God how I hate them.

I used to use PayPal all the time, racked up nearly 1000 transactions in a year or two.

Then someone sent me a payment, only it was on a stolen credit card (I didn't know this of course, it was just a payment through the gateway on my website for a service)

Next thing I know there's a claim and dispute. Not only did PayPal take the money that the thief sent me, they also froze my account (and all the funds in it)

A year goes by, I get back into using PayPal (on a different account) all goes well for a while, then a buyer wasn't happy with the product I sent, and what do you know, another dispute. Which ultimately ended in another frozen account. And even more frozen funds.

Didn't learn my lesson though. I made another account. I used it on and off for about six months, all was going well, then I hadn't used it for about two months and out of the blue I get a call, from PayPal HQ in America. The conversation basically is as follows:

Him: We see that you have two accounts with us, can you explain why?
Me: I use them for different things. One is for buying online and the other is where my income is sent to from my websites, is that a problem?
Him: No, no of course not, that's fine.

About a month later my bank statement came. Apparently PayPal tried to take $400 from my bank account.
This put my bank account into the negatives. Then the bank took the money back from PayPal.

Basically it ended with both my bank and PayPal accounts being closed.

So yeah, not a PayPal fan at all. Just a warning to you guys, use MoneyBookers or E-Gold wherever possible.

Case Solved

We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
favour.

We were able to recover $43.00 AUD, and this amount has been credited to
you. Please allow five business days for this adjustment to be posted.

If you are due any additional funds, we will make our best effort to
recover the balance from the seller.

If the seller's account has insufficient funds to complete the refund owed
to you, please be assured that we will take appropriate action against the
seller's account, which may include limitation of the seller's account
privileges.

WOOOOOWHO!!!
G Smith... You've GONE DOWN!!!

I did have one dodgy buy off ebay, a freezer that kept turning itself off in the middle of the night. After the 3rd time all my stuff got defrosted and ruined I did the right thing and sold it off to some unsuspecting sucker for more that what I paid for it.

Case Solved

We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
favour.

We were able to recover $43.00 AUD, and this amount has been credited to
you. Please allow five business days for this adjustment to be posted.

If you are due any additional funds, we will make our best effort to
recover the balance from the seller.

If the seller's account has insufficient funds to complete the refund owed
to you, please be assured that we will take appropriate action against the
seller's account, which may include limitation of the seller's account
privileges.

WOOOOOWHO!!!
G Smith... You've GONE DOWN!!!
thats good , but i bet ya his got more then one paypal account . and more then one bank account

I did have one dodgy buy off ebay, a freezer that kept turning itself off in the middle of the night. After the 3rd time all my stuff got defrosted and ruined I did the right thing and sold it off to some unsuspecting sucker for more that what I paid for it.

Ummmmmmmmmm......

Did you deliver it to the 'poor unsuspecting sucker's house'?

I read a couple posts etc, you'll get your money back. Ebay has means and ways to A) prevent this or B) fix it. Not many people get duped from ebay anymore. Well, not perma duped.

hi guys and girls
what about 2500.00 plus GST LOL about 17 month ago with Classified ad on ebay
2 x 20 foot containers
we checked the seller out his business registration ,had a few phone calls with him got an official invoice send including Gst
Bey bey money but not only we but about 90 other people too
they got the guy but as the money left his account non of us will see a cent back as it looks now
the whole case still has to come before court ........system is slow :)
just thought to share this with you so you do not feel sooooooo bad anymore (by the way we are far from rich :)
and the funny thing is that there are still the same kind of scams are listed on eBay so now and then
so people if you want a shipping container be careful

well i had an issue the last few days, was on a library computer and didnt log out of ebay. my account suddenly had 4 bids on separate cars. thank god you can retract bids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back