Eek! Spotted Python with bleeding tail tip!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koula

Reaction score
*panic-mode*

Locke (my juvie spotted python) shed his skin tonight, but I found fresh wet blood (2 or 3 drops worth?) smeared on his tank wall. Upon investigating, I found the very point of his tail tip looks half-severed (it's not bleeding now), but it looks like the tip could break off and bleed again. :(

If it does break off, will he regrow the tail tip? or will he forever be a stumpy snake? :(

tailtiphelp.jpg

Anyone got any advice for me on how to save his tail?

Crap,where do I get betadine from? (is it over the counter stuff at a chemist? If so, the 24/7 chemist is just down the road.) Is there anything else I can use in the meantime? Salty water?

How do I use this betadine stuff? Should I just dip his tail tip in it? or does it need to be watered down?

Betadine is on the shelf at any chemist, i not quite sure about watering it down, we just appy it to ours wounds and it doesn't hurt, I am not sure about your poor little snakie.... :(

As possum said. Betadine can be bought over the counter at any chemist, and it doesn't need to be watered down. Not to sure about salty water. If you can, I would be going down to the 24/7 just down the road. Hope he gets better for you.

Thanks, I'll be sure to buy some asap. His tail tip looks "re-attached" now (not half-severed looking)... He seems ok about (in fact, it's almost like he doesnt even know/care). If anything bad starts to happen I'll haul him off to the vets but it still leaves me with the burning question about his tail regrowing or not if the worst happens.

I believe your right there Craig. Locke's previous shed didn't fully come off his tail tip til a day after his main body shed. (I had to soak his tail tip for a few minutes and gently peel it off), and it was looking a tiny bit constricted but it never broke or bled (and he was fine and dandy afterwards, eating, drinking,slithering,etc). I was under the assumption that his tail would fix itself with his next shed (ie: this shed he just did).

Good point craig. Make sure you always check the very tip cos I have heard that if a small piece of shed stays on, then it acts like a tourniquet I suppose as they grow into it and can cut off blood supply and make it fall off. Betadine I would only water down if you were using it near a mouth or somewhere where they may injest a bit. I've never really had to use it before though but I think full strength on a tail would be fine. Good luck with him ;)

*nods* He's my very first snake so I'm still pretty unknowing in certain python health areas. I did do a lot of reading up on keeping snakes, but I found the chapters on shedding/sloughing where very short and didn't mention problems with shedding like this (only humidity/soaking issues).

*goes to organize getting some betadine*

Hey all, I got some betadine and dipped his tail. He's happy as a pig in mud this morning, the tail tip looks like its healed back together overnight. He took a thawed-out fuzzy this morning so he's right to be left alone/unhandled for the next few days.

I'm still curious to know what would have happened if he did lose his tail tip... do pythons regrow lost tail tips? Or do they stay stumpy for the rest of their life?

Oti-derm or Oti-clean does a better job than betadine. Avilable at vets.

Its from him not shedding the tip of his tail previously. It will not grow back.

mmm yeh, my female coastal has a tiny kink right at the end of her tale. I am pretty sure it is broken, but it has been like that ever since i bought her. Luckily it doesent worry her. I am farily sure it happened because of a tail tip remaining after a shed.

Oti-derm or Oti-clean does a better job than betadine.

Isn't that ear cleaner? lol

Good to hear he's doing better swiftrat! Just always remember when they shed to check that the eye spectacles and the tip of the tail have both come off. IMO they're both the more important things to check :)

Ouzo,- Yeah it is but it is amazing stuff for healing wounds. I even use it sometimes on myself.(always have been abit of an animal).

Oti-derm or Oti-clean does a better job than betadine. Avilable at vets
I have use it for cleaning out wounds but a few vets have mentioned that it has little or no antiseptic properties and should be followed up with something like betadine. Maybe our resident vet can advise?

wow, that looks bad! definatly going ot be paying close close attention to my snake after the sheding to make sure it has all come off. not trying ot hijack the thread but should the humidity be increased before a shed and if so how much and how?

i am 100% certain that the humidity should be increased but not 100% sure how much and how.

hope your snake's tail heals up nicely, poor lil guy.

andrew

Most wild snakes have lost the end of their tail, very common thing.

Yes slackra if you have had past bad sheds on particular snakes then increase the humidity by putting a tub of wet spagnum moss in the enclosure around shedding time. just an :idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back