Enclosure help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamsMice

Reaction score
Hey I need help I'm working on a 1200x595x16 and a couple of other pieces and I'm planning on building a 4ft plus and maybe two gecko size ones fistly the tracks how much will they cost for say 4ft or so then best strongest glue to put it together lighting and price and vents type of glass which one would be best flexi glass or what? So sum it off I need Alround help cheers really hope someone can help.ramsmice

There is a DYI group on here that might offer some new ideas.

COWDROY are a maniufacturer of plastic tracks.

Glue will depend on what timber you are using. For Ply or Pine, PVA & screws should be fine. Not sure what people use for melamine.

im not sure on exact prices but i know glass is bloody expensive!. if price is an issue maybe you could think about a wood/glass combo (if thats not what you were doing lol). maybe to give you an idea, i once had to replace a window pane that was about 80cm tall and 25cm wide, that cost $70. good luck hope it all works out :)

Thanks guys and hollyy atleast I know I won't be up for a cheap price for glass but thanks I'm Gina check out the forum and the site and yes I'm using melamine

Glass can be cheap you just need to shop around. You'd be surprised by the variability in that industry.
Best "glue" is liquid nails and/or screws. Some say the liquid nails is over doing it but I do it and mine are solid as a rock. Price depends on the material you want to make it out of. Lighting would either need to be purchased as the prewired units or get a sparky to hook it all up (pretty expensive). For vents check out bunnings. They have a really good selection and some fairly cheap ones. If you've got specific questions I'd be happy to answer as many as I know but that's all I can do with the broad questions you asked sorry

Hey saximus thanks you very much no need to be sorry haha that is excattly the info I needed to sum off I might have another couple of question but thanks heaps. Ramsmice

i buy my glass from the tip/dump shop. i get 4 windows for $10. then i just use my trusty glass cutter (12$ from hardware shop for it) has done all my enclosure with more to spare :)

Great tip RLJ. How much practice did it take to get good with the glass cutter?

hmm RLJ was also thinking going down and seeing if they have some glass down at the local dump but i thought they have banned it so you cant just go grab stuff but i read you (brought) it 4 windows for 10 thats good but anyway do most dump do that like sell stuff.

well its not to hard to cut glass, just use a strait edge (i use some timber) and then just use the cutter (its like a pencil) and just put a fair bit of pressure on. i probably still stuff up 1/10 cuts. but when the glass is that cheap it doesnt matter.
i dont know about other places. but as far as i know, melbourne, syd and cairns do. so im sure every where else would. just ring up your local dump and ask if they have a buy back shop or tip shop etc. i never paid more than $5 for one bit of glass. and its good cause even if you get only 1 or 2 there usually 1.5m X 1m. so can get a few cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back