Enclosure/hide protective snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classabear

Reaction score
So I bought a snake today and she's now settling in for a few days. When I went to buy her, the owner told me she was slightly protective of her enclosure, and in particular a hide (Exactly like this one):
exo-terra-rock-outcrop-hiding-cave-medium-9934-p.jpg
It has the small holes in the other side for them to climb into.

Anyway, he told me she tends to purposefully get stuck in there and not come out if you try to handle her and she also hisses when she's in there. She isn't bitey and doesn't strike, but still.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to remove that hide from her enclosure and replace it with the normal ones, and f I did, how would she react if she is overly attached to it? She is used to getting fed in her enclosure, so i'm going to start feeding her outside of it, and hopefully it will help.

Any advice on how to sort this out would be really helpful. Obviously I will wait a week or two for her to settle in before I remove it, if I do, so she doesnt become too stressed out.

Thanks in advance.

Snakes don't become attached to belongings. It would be fine to remove and replace it if you want.

The python probably goes in there because it knows it is safe and can't be reached to be handled.

Pythons don't like to be handled and will happily avoid it if they can although some are more tolerant than others. This is why it hisses.

Take it out. Get a simple plastic hide box. Proherp has some good ones at a reasonable price. My snakes are forever trying to stay in their cage. I get the feeling they don't wanna spend time with me lol. Don't feed her outside the enclosure. Feeding in the enclosure is something I have done with snappy and calm snakes with nil issues. You don't want to be handling a snake that has just eaten and try to get it back into an enclosure. Apart from anything the behavior described is not aggressive it just sounds a bit scared.

Take it out. Get a simple plastic hide box. Proherp has some good ones at a reasonable price. My snakes are forever trying to stay in their cage. I get the feeling they don't wanna spend time with me lol. Don't feed her outside the enclosure. Feeding in the enclosure is something I have done with snappy and calm snakes with nil issues. You don't want to be handling a snake that has just eaten and try to get it back into an enclosure. Apart from anything the behavior described is not aggressive it just sounds a bit scared.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll look around for something to replace it in the next week or so. I have just offered her food (She was due for a feed) and she seems to be a really good feeder, so that's a plus!!! She decided to drag her food into that hide and eat it in there, though.. -.-' But all is good! I'll let her get used to things for a few more days than planned, just to make sure she's comfortable before handling.

It's even good to have routines with the snakes. My snakes (esp my adult Bhp's) can be jumpy. Even though they are placid I use a hook when I plan to handle. I stroke them on the back them lift them up then go hands on. This is an important distinction from when I go in to feed them. These days I just leave the feed in a small plastic box in the enclosure. They sniff it out and eat at their convenience. I initially did this due to aggressive feeds and had rats explode in my cage. I find this to be more convenient for all involved.

It's even good to have routines with the snakes. My snakes (esp my adult Bhp's) can be jumpy. Even though they are placid I use a hook when I plan to handle. I stroke them on the back them lift them up then go hands on. This is an important distinction from when I go in to feed them. These days I just leave the feed in a small plastic box in the enclosure. They sniff it out and eat at their convenience. I initially did this due to aggressive feeds and had rats explode in my cage. I find this to be more convenient for all involved.

Great advice! I'll definitely try this with her! :) I'm planning on refurnishing her enclosure some time next weekend (Making it a bit more decorative and swapping the bedding to Aspen snake bedding) I was also wondering if it would be a good idea to not handle her for a few days after redecorating so that she gets used to the change, or would it be fine?

Thanks!

Great advice! I'll definitely try this with her! :) I'm planning on refurnishing her enclosure some time next weekend (Making it a bit more decorative and swapping the bedding to Aspen snake bedding) I was also wondering if it would be a good idea to not handle her for a few days after redecorating so that she gets used to the change, or would it be fine?

Thanks!

Different people will have different opinions regarding when to and when not to handle. I'm not so precious with these things. I handle when I want to (shedding and feeding excepted). The snake will let you know if it doesn't want to be handled. A different cage/location may warrant some settling time however redecorating will not phase the snake.

Different people will have different opinions regarding when to and when not to handle. I'm not so precious with these things. I handle when I want to (shedding and feeding excepted). The snake will let you know if it doesn't want to be handled. A different cage/location may warrant some settling time however redecorating will not phase the snake.
Okay, i'll see how she is when the time comes and act accordingly :) Thanks so much for the help! Really appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back