Enclosure size for an 8 month Murray Darling? Pics Included

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson.Massacre

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
Here's my 8 month old Murray Darling carpet Churchill, who I'm currently feeding fuzzy rats twice a week and he's growing at an amazing rate.

He's in the tank shown below at the moment (35Lx25Hx21Wcm), but I feel like he would benefit from a larger one. The next size I have unfortunately is 60Lx36Hx30W [60 litres]. He is very cage territorial and pretty snappy still whenever I get him out (When does that behaviour stop?), do you think that he will react negatively to the huge space? Is his current tank too small?

He has a heat mat and I can put in as many hides as needed. I will buy a heat light if he goes into the big tank.

Any advice or opinions would be really appreciated :D
Thanks

20120924_143012.jpg20120924_142949.jpg

The tank he's in now does look too small. My 8 month MD is the most placid, gentle thing and always has been, so I'm sorry but I don't know about the attitude thing. Why do you feed him twice a week? How long have you been doing that?

A friend of mine who has a few pythons suggested I did during the summer months while he's young. He was a little on the scrawny side feeding on fuzzy mice until about eight weeks ago, and he's been easily eating two fuzzy rats a week for five weeks.

What kind of size/weight is your MD at the moment? How often do you handle him?

- - - Updated - - -

Or, perhaps a more relevant question, what kind of tank is he in? aha. I've been having trouble finding advice for snakes older than 4 months and younger than a year.

gday mate your enclosure should be at least half the length of your python so if snake is 1 metre than your tank should be at least 50cm ok...nice looking MD....:D

i put my younger snakes in there big tanks once they hit 1 meter! they get house in 4x2x2ft! havent had any problems just provide loads of hides!

My MD is about 2.5 ft long & she's in a 2x2x2 ft malemine tank with glass doors. I handle her as much as I possibly can, usually for about 30 or 40 minutes once or twice a day & have been doing that since I got her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back