Ever seen a.......?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that if children show a healthy interest in something it is our responsiblity to encourage it.

I would perfer to purchase a lizard and learn how to care for it properly (teaching my kids responsibility at the same time) than have to get mad at them for hurting skinks that they find in the garden. Since I have got them spike (our first beardie) they have left our skinks out side where they belong.

At least if I get a proper enclosure and get them involved in looking after a spider their interest is satisfied and the risk of being bitten outside (should?) reduce.

(and hey lets face it - there is nothing as impresive as a massive bird eating spider...)

Does anyone have any more pictures...

BTW I think that I have come across Nome's website previously - very impressive.

I love spiders, always have and have had some monsters over the years including a BIG female Goliath Bird Eater that dwarfs our stuff here. I have bred a number of species and they are a challenge to breed, there is always an element of guesswork when it comes to when or if the female is receptive.
I wish we had access to the really big South American species and the really docile Central American types.

Love the last picy of the wolf spider pugs. He almost appears to be smiling at you.

We seem to have almost plague proportions of the goldern orb spider on Sydneys north shore at the moment - some of them grow absolutely massive - I always thought that spiders were quite territorial - but there are sometimes hundreds of orb spiders sharing the same web....

(I am getting very sick of removing there webs from my person after my early morning bike rides...nothing quite like being hit in the face by a big fat one at 50 klicks :)

I know exactly what you mean Alexr. And those webs have to be one of the stickiest things around too! And they smell also, although it's not that noticable when they're outside. But stick one in a jar or bugcatcher, and the web they spin begins to show off it's strong odour after about 24 hrs.

:p

Hix

Yeah - I have often wondered if one of these days I am actually going to be ripped off my bike :)

Does anyone know how toxic the orb spiders bite is? I have read that they rarely bite...but the big ones seem to have pretty large fangs...

Orb Weavers are very reluctant to bite and I believe their venom is fairly weak like the majority of spiders.

They are listed as harmless to humans, they are very reluctant to bite and next to no effects from the venom is recorded. This is the case with most master and apprentice weavers.

Beautiful pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back