Ever seen a.......?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Huntsman, A wolfy (used to catch these alll the time when i was little! Scared the crap out of my parents! and a water spider.

Nice pics Pugsly!

:p

Alexr,

I grew up in French's Forest - the whole area is crawling with Funnelwebs and Mouse spiders. I'm sure your son will have no trouble finding more. Maybe you could get him interested in the Golden Orb Weavers, there seems to be a plague of them at present and they're nowhere near as dangerous.

Sssssssssnakeman,

That's a spectacular spider - looks almost like a fake. Is that a common Melbourne species? Do you know what species it is?

Hix

Nome - does this mean that you have slings available at the moment?

Hahahaha Snakeman! The rubber animals seem to be popping out of the woodwork over your way! :lol: :lol:

Nice shots Naomi & Steve :D They are big critters! :shock: And that shot of the one you found Browns blows me away! :shock:

I think I have a budding Arachnologist on my hands at home. My son is pleading for me to buy him a bird eating spider for his birthday :lol: I'm fascinated by them, but also a tiny bit apprehensive about him keeping one. He always has jars of huntsmans in his room and wants me to catch moths and things every night to feed them :lol: Relax Naomi, they often get released after a few days to be refreshed with whatever else he finds in the garden :lol: :wink:

Are the bird eating spiders venomous?

I remember seeing one at a pet store with a warning about being bitten.

I also remember seeing Steve Irwin (stop laughing) actually looking scared while he was handling one, and mentioning something about there being no antivenom being availble for (some?) species - is this true?

the Golden Orb Weavers, there seems to be a plague of them at present and they're nowhere near as dangerous.

Yeah we have tried but he knows they are not as dangerous so he is not as interested in them.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Pugsly, I love the piccie of the wolf spider.

Raising spiderlings atm, last year's hatchies, but I'm not letting them go as yet as I want to make sure they are very well established first.

All spiders are venomous...they all have venom. The bird eating spiders are not known to be dangerous to people, but there could be someone somewhere that has some kind of reaction to them. The few bites I have had are very painful, and made me nauseous and feeling 'out of it'. Some people vomit for a couple of days, but there hasn't really been enough people bitten to know too much about the effects of the venom. That's why I say as a pet, they are not to be handled. Yes, you can handle them without getting bitten, but I don't recommend it as it is also stressful for the spider, and if it falls off you or you flick it off from a height, it will die. The bites I have received were because I wasn't careful enough, and breeding these tends to be a bit hands-on.

Yeah, for some reason Steve Irwin is sh&t scared of them. :lol:

Nome - when do you think that they will be mature enough to sell?

Cheers guys got stacks more but won't bore ya, yes i took them all out in the back yard! well i back onto a stack of bush land so i can go for a treck and find all sorts a critters!

Menagerie said:
Nome - does this mean that you have slings available at the moment?

I usually sell them by this age, but I've had trouble raising these ones, so want to make sure they are fully established. I'd say in the next month probably. Will put up a post when they are ready.

Alex she's nowhere with NoOne :) .....actually we are on the north coast.

Come on Craig, they are cuties :D and the babies are even cuter when they try and be a big spider, catching food and stuff....so cute, Funnel Webs are the biggest cuties though, i miss mine, can't wait to get some more :)

Steve.

north coast
Of NSW? - Just wondering if I could buy one (and hide it from the misses of course)

Are you able to breed and sell Funnel Webs legally?

I am starting to think that APS is not very good for my marrage :wink:

Yep North coast of NSW.

As Nome said she hasn't got any avalible atm but when they are ready she will put up a post. She freights them out.

Theres no laws against keeping spiders in NSW or breeding them.

Sydney Funnel Webs are not to be taken lightly they are most deadly spider in the world and are very agressive. All the funnel webs i have kept were very agressive and would " stand up" at the slighest disturbance. They can be tricky to keep as well as they don't seem to take well to captivity and it takes them some time to adjust and start feeding.

Steve.

Just re-read my post. The Funnel Web question was to satisfy my curiosity and nothing more. (If I were to get a spider I would perfer one that would not cause a threat to my family if it escaped.).

As Nome said she hasn't got any avalible atm but when they are ready she will put up a post.

I will keep my eyes open - but I think I the boys and I need a bit more maturity first...

lol plus you gotta get passed the wife :wink: :lol: They are a great pet and once setup like snakes are very little work but they must be setup properly or they will die.
It's good to see you are encouraging your boys interest in spiders they are the generation that needs to know that all the myths about spiders and snakes for that matter are a load of BS! Well done Alex! :)

Steve.

ahh man that made me shiver hhahaha im not really a fan of spiders but they are amazing aminmals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back