Evolution question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would vegetarians evolve to be intellectually equal

• Of equal intelligence

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Of lesser intelligence

Votes: 48 78.7%
  • Of greater intelligence

Votes: 6 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Tigers and Sharks and Crocodiles are so good at hunting and are carnivores, how come they haven't evolved to something even more superior yet?

What about elephants? They are one of the three known species that have demonstrated a sense of consciousness and they are herbivorous.

What do you mean by consciousness? if its what i think it is there is a very credible theory that nothing has it, or otherwise most animals should have it.

But by the time apes had half evolved into half human half ape, they would have been quite strong due to the monkey part and smart due to the human part of them.
So why evolve any further?

If Tigers and Sharks and Crocodiles are so good at hunting and are carnivores, how come they haven't evolved to something even more superior yet?

The predator only needs to be smart enough or skilled enough to catch its prey. If zebras and antelope evolve, whether by intellegence or behaviour, to a point where they evade crocodiles everytime they encounter then no doubt crocs would change behaviour, diet and hunting practises .

But by the time apes had half evolved into half human half ape, they would have been quite strong due to the monkey part and smart due to the human part of them.

We evolved further so we could become the dominant species and eat all the tasty animals, make TV's, cars, guns, beer etc. :lol:

At one stage amoeba like organisms were top predators. Why did they evolve further?
Humans evolved further as a result of environmental stimuli, evolution is not a conscious process. Nothing decides to evolve and decides to stop.

Mammals are generally the ones attributed with "intelligence"

What do you mean by consciousness? if its what i think it is there is a very credible theory that nothing has it, or otherwise most animals should have it.

When I say consciousness I mean a sense of awareness, not a spirit or "collective conscience"etc that I do not believe in.

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/life/mg19225764.600-elephants-recognise-their-mirror-image.html

There are only a handful of species that are self aware and they are all social animals.

I think it has to do with humans being social creatures. I think we evolved more, in particular our brains, as a result of sexual selection. Due to living and working in functioning groups the need to be strong predators so to speak would have paled in comparison to intelligence in regards to sexual selection. Why reproduce with a specimen that is a strong hunter when you could reproduce with a smart hunter who was more efficient due to better weapons and traps etc.

The time and energy created from more efficient hunting leaves more time for shelter and protection of a partner and offspring hence making that partner more fit selecting out specimens with less intelligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back