EWD temperament

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corgan

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I would like to know what EWD are like as pets and their temperament whether they can be handled regularly or not. I have held one previously and it was very snappy, and i am considering one as a pet.

thankyou

Depends, if handled regularily when young then they might be a lot easier to handle, but good luck handling an adult like your could with a bearded. Awesome repltiles but I think better left alone, Petes are simply amazing, all kept outside, no chance of handling one, shy lizards mostly, but spectacular to watch.

Heres a few pics for ya, awesome guys these are, best kept outside in an enclosure like this one! (We can all keep dreaming for now..)

Petes3.jpg

Petes23.jpg

Bit of arm waving hehe

Petes12.jpg

Big Male

Petes27.jpg

Setup
Petes15.jpg

Beautiful little critters aren't they, and not so little. Obviously the red chest just isn't so common on the females. (Forum: Eastern Water Dragon questioon)

Great shots Pugsly 8)
That's a terrific enclosure you have there.
The first shot of the female looks like she's gravid.

Rennie, the red chest & belly is a typically male characteristic.
Sexual dimorphism is very pronounced in this species.
Males are much larger, have bigger crests and have bolder colouration & patterning.

Corgan, I'd describe them as feisty.
Not the cuddliest of herps but will tame up with regular handling, though not as easily as other species.

awesome enclosure and water dragons

EWD

Gee pugsly try taking a bit more time taking the photos - they come out like that when you rush 'em :wink:

I'd love to get a pair of EWD - that first female is so cute...

For the moment I will just have to enjoy them in the wild.

My boys and I did some herping on the weekend appart from several EWD and a water skink it was a bit uneventful.

Oh and welcome to APS Corgan - I am sure you will like it here! where abouts do you reside - you never know your luck you might live near a EWD owner who might be able show off there setup...

Hey alexr, thanks for the welcome, i live in south western sydney sort of near the campbelltown area

There are plenty of APSers in your area including the owners of the EWD in the pictures that Pugsly took, so I am sure that someone will be able to help you if you need it.

IMO if you want a dragon that you can hold you can't go past a central beardie. I have one and he is just great with my kids...

Good luck.

The male in the Photo looka very happy with himself Pugsly. if not somewhat tired. :wink:

Did you know that EWDs can regenerate there tails.
Check the last pic in Alexr's post.

They are great reptiles..

Petes28.sized.jpg

Petes24.jpg

I reckon these are the go though..
Petes9.jpg

Or this cutie..

Petes4.jpg

i know that EWD are best kept outside but if kept indoors do they need a water bowl or something thats big enough for them to swim in... and do frill necks have good temperaments?

thanks

Yes Corgan, EWD's need lots of water to soak/swim in.

Did you know that they can also hold their breath for upto 90 mins!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back