Exotic keepers - lets have a chat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before all of you Eastern people want exotics adding to the keeping list (NSW and VIC),
Just think how many reptiles you have on the keepers list (around 3 or 400?) why can’t you just stick to them? We in WA are only allowed to keep 42 species of reptiles, yer you might be just greedy and wanting other reptiles what you can’t keep, I bet no one keeps every single reptile on your keeping list!

Think of WA here we are only allowed WA species.

We are only allowed to keep 4 species of Pythons all native to WA, we are not allowed to import Pythons from the East even though they might be allowed on our keeper's list because of you exotic keepers who bought IMD into Australia you have spoilt it for thousands of people!!! Great work losers!!

The only thing I can say to you Exotic wanters is STOP being greedy and grow the hell up we have great native reptiles we don’t need our environment looking like the US!!!!

Thats all it is. Wanting what we can't have.
I know if it ever became legal to keep them I would no longer want the exotics I keep :p

i just think it is interesting to compare the arguments here to the arguments posted a few months ago about the importation of the savannah cat. The company importing the cats was going to be very strictly licensed, the cats were going to only be sold neutered, they would have to be kept in escape-proof enclosures and all owners would be monitored.

The uproar here on aps alone was enormous with claims that they would eventually escape, irresponsible owners would dump them in the bush when they tired of them and they would decimate our wildlife.

But all of a sudden, now that we are discussing something that everyone wants (i mean c'mon, who wouldn't get a chameleon if they were legal?!) these exact same arguments are being ignored in favour of pretty pisspoor excuses - "but we already have heaps of exotics and they aren't doing any harm", "legalising it will bring it off the black market and allow it to be regulated" and my personal favourite "there are already heaps of other non-native species like cats :shock: And rabbits :shock: Here, so why not exotic reptiles?"

really, haven't we learnt our lesson? Just because mistakes have been made in the past regarding importation of exotics, doesn't mean that we should keep doing it because you want a boa!!!
nuff said.....

Exotics are cheaper and more colorful.

of course they would be released! ,if you think they would be controlled
your kidding yourself and if the government thinks they can be... Australia is doomd :p

nuff said.....

Thats all it is. Wanting what we can't have.
I know if it ever became legal to keep them I would no longer want the exotics I keep :p
yep, its like everything, people always want what they cant have. if they were legal, people wouldn't want them anymore than they want our natives.....if that makes sence ?

lol NSW cant even get reptiles into pet shops, so i dont see exotics being on licence in my life time...

i personally dont mind the look of the exotic species. but atm nothing comes to mind that id like to keep..

i think also Australian Breeders would suffer a fair bit.
just to keep our own natives we have to go through all the log book crap, imagine the processes we would go through for exotics

I can't see anything changing really, exotic reptiles will just continue to be bred and traded in the 1000's unregulated but as long as someone gets busted with a few Leopard Geckos or a Corn Snake the masses will assume a good job is being done and all will be good in the world :)

I want a Komodo Dragon, to keep & love, & send the naughty kids in to give it a pat........

I haven't been to 2/3's of Australia, yet I've been overseas - it was much more interesting!!!:rolleyes:(to my knowledge, seeing as I haven't seen the rest of Australia to compare?)

We're never happy with what we've got, licenced or not........
The black market continues, licenced or not.........

Because keeping reptiles is a privalige not a right. We should be thankful for what we've got, not complaining about what we haven't.

Thats a very good point.

some exots are very nice, but i'm happy with the natives.

Hot some more stuff to say, trying to work out how to word it so i'll post back tomorrow when i've had a bit more of a think about it, but this is a very good conversation. And sorry to Sloth if this isn't quite how you wanted your thread to end up :D

also, havent heard of the everglades incident...could somebody sum it up or give us a link to something to read?

thanks,

James

Last edited:
We should be thankful for what we've got, not complaining about what we haven't.[/QUOTE]
You hit the nail on the head there.The NPW cant do much about the exotics that are already here,a few ppl here and there get caught with a corn snake,thats hardly going to make a impact in the numbers.This situation about exotics in Aus will NOT change in our life time,it cant be policed now,its hardly going to get any better.....

Hey i was wondering, do bikies trade in illegal exotics alot? I've never been offered any at all but i heard its a bigger problem in NSW. Is that true?

I think you will find the going rates in different countries have no influence in what local breeders sell there stock for. If that was so I might have to take my GTPs back, I got way overcharged.

Wasn't aware there were any exotics being seriously advertised for proper comparison. And I imagine that the people selling them can't exactly ask for large sums of money (eg. the price of GTPs). Aren't backyard breeders in it for a "quick buck"? ;)

I have trouble choosing my next native snake to add to my collection...

Geez if i could have exotics, i may have a mental breakdown trying to choose!

better to play it safe IMO- keep them away.

Remember Guam...

Am I hearing right? Because we shelved the Savannah Cat can I expect to be able to buy one on the black market sometime soon? Wouldn't be too long before theres thousands of them out here right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back