Exploding mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most humane, is the CO2 method. Involves getting an airtight container with tubes going into it. Place the mice/rats in there and use a C02 machine (sodastream machine) to pump CO2 into the container. The rodents simply "fall asleep." Then freeze. Note however, this does slightly increase the costs. I simply use the bop on the head with a block of wood method. Very effective

Most humane, is the CO2 method. Involves getting an airtight container with tubes going into it. Place the mice/rats in there and use a C02 machine (sodastream machine) to pump CO2 into the container. The rodents simply "fall asleep." Then freeze. Note however, this does slightly increase the costs. I simply use the bop on the head with a block of wood method. Very effective

yeah thanks for that, what if u just put them in the freezer? wouldnt they fall asleep the same way? obviously just be a little colder when there on the way out.;)

Putting them in the freezing is a slow, excrutiatingly painful death. Either whack them on the head or CO2 them. If you can't do either of those don't breed your own rodents.

Freezing rodents alive is illegal.... there is even a site rule on this forum that states that if anyone advises freezing of live rodents they will receive an infraction.... Pretty much it comes down to what you do in your own home is your own business. In my opinion freezing live rats and cracking them on the head are both just as cruel as each other... The reason I choose to knock them on the head opposed to freezing alive is because a) freezing alive is illegal b) if you freeze rodents alive they "hug" each other for warmth making it virtually impossible to get them apart when you need them without defrosting the whole lot or ending up with missing arms/legs etc...

this is not a thread about killing mice
so please no more look up the old threads
on that subject cheers

Stress less dude... this is a threat about massively pregnant rodents.... and the question has come up about what the best way to "cull" them is, which is completely relavent... There's no harm in giving someone valuable information rather than telling them to "google it" and run the risk of them doing something cruel and/or illegal.... :D

Stress less dude... this is a threat about massively pregnant rodents.... and the question has come up about what the best way to "cull" them is, which is completely relavent... There's no harm in giving someone valuable information rather than telling them to "google it" and run the risk of them doing something cruel and/or illegal.... :D
Stress lol its common sense if you freeze an animal its cruel, thats right its a thread about heavily pregnant mice not how to cull them , start a new thread there is heaps already done on the subject of culling cheers

And for a newbie maybe it isn't common knowledge... cracking a mouse on the head seems cruel but its legal and people do it.... so the guy's questions was perfectly relavent... it would have been a two or three post question if that, but now it's just taking up more room on this thread... i didn't ask the question... I just answered it... so ill just keep posting here..... thanks :)

I do actually think 27 is a record. Make sure to get a picture of all the bubs or it didn't happen. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back