Far North Queensland 4 -- Mission Beach, frogs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Moloch the Mission Beach jungle is a rare site to see in the wild these days which is a shame as they can be a spectacular morph of jungle when you see a nice specimen,it's a shame and I'd say from land clearing to a lot of people collecting them for their own collections etc over the years they have certainly become a rare site in the area.I'd say if you did a lot of searching you'd eventually see a few but around the main Mission Beach area which has been getting more developed over time your chances of seeing a jungle are pretty rare and more likely to see a cassowary than a jungle and there doesn't seem to be any lack of scrubbies that's for sure!! I love the pic of the striped one you posted,that would be a nice morph to get going if anyone had any like that in captivity even though I think scrubs belong right where they come from in the wild not in any enclosure,they just don't suit captivity imo.We did some herping not long ago close to Mission and Tully and the amount of scrubbies was unreal as well as plenty of BTS.The slatey greys from what I've seen aren't much fun catching as they ***** all over you as a deterrent lol

The bhp is a shame to see them killed on the roads,I have a pic of a roadkill just out of Bowen I'll try dig up which was a nice red banded adult and the closest I've seen bhp's to where I am which is where the Proserpine carpets come from and just in my own yard there's a spot where the keelbacks are thick as can be and see them constantly,a shame they don't get bigger and take care of more toads and they have a bit of variety in colour too with some being a nice salmon colour with spots.Just for some fun one day a fellow herper and I lifted some old sleepers around a pond I have and we caught 7 keelbacks in no less than 5 minutes (sorry no pics)along with many huge bird eaters that a friend seems to think may be a different species to others of which I have a couple of nice big girls as pets if you would/could call them that?I can get some pics of them.Cardwell Range has a great view at the top and is a beautiful area just a bit south for true jungles but you get screaming blue tree snakes around there.

Getting close to doing a herping trip up North as a friend will then be stuck at home looking after eggs and will try get as many pics as I can.The photos you've posted are all great quality moloch,my photography skills suck compared to your pics and I have a decent camera which makes it worse lol Great pics mate,keep em coming if you have any more,cheers..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back