"FEAR" & respect a "BIG" Difference in IMO

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I give my snakes the respect they deserve. I only trust 3 of them, the only reason they would bite is if I stuff up in doing something wrong. My other snake I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw him lol. He doesn't bite normally but is a handful to try and hold (who said bredlis are normally placid). It is all part of owning a reptile. Just enjoy the good times of keeping them.

I bought a shoelace sized children's off a member of this site who has owned reps for a while and had a fair collection apparently. The children's is a devil, it bites non stop and the old owner wouldent even get it out of it's log hide. He told me to take it home in the log. Needless to say I just poked it a little bit and a few tags later it was out of the log and into the pillowcase.

It isn't just newbies that are scared. This guy has been a member here for three years and I'm lead to believe to of owned reps for longer than that.

Hey IV,

They may well be able to survive in the wild, but if the snake has a very weak feed response (like some I've met that just walk up to the food and swallow, wouldn't strike at a food source to save themselves) it may lose a lot of condition before it changes hunting tactics from how it's used to obtaining food; that's my take on it anyway. If the snake lost significant condition, it's chances of a successful hunt (without receiving serious injury) would be significantly decreased.

It's not just obtaining food that can be a challenge for captive snakes - predator avoidance can be an issue too - I remember a captive release program of baby womas in SA happening a while back, where basically all the womas just turned into mulga food (kinda funny but I really shouldn't laugh!), quite possibly because the baby womas were de-sensitized to living in close proximity to other snakes!

Apologies guys that was a bit off topic; do continue :)

wow you met a snake that can walk :D

I might be a bit twisted but i actually find the snappier ones more interesting. They keep me on my toes and makes me show a bit more respect and pay better attention, keeps me from being complacent. In saying that though I don't have any monster snakes at home the biggest is a nearly 5 foot JCP. I also don't have any hestitation in giving them a pint of my blood if it means them getting the care they need ASAP.

haha i read this whole thread before i realised its not a new one and i had already posted here.....

well an update then, have been bitten by my coastal twice now (i had just fed him both times and he thought i was more food lol).

back to the original topic though, i think it if came down to an urgent need to handle their snake, i would hope that people would just do it, regardless of their fear. one can only hope though.

my husband hates snakes with a passion and refuses to hold my coastal, but i know that my husband would handle it given a good reason to.

I might be a bit twisted but i actually find the snappier ones more interesting. They keep me on my toes and makes me show a bit more respect and pay better attention, keeps me from being complacent.....
I totally get this statement. I get a bit of a kick out of having a snake which seems to (I say "seems to" because I don't believe snakes have human personalities) to be a little bit more sensitive than others... I find it a treat. He demands my respect and patience and if I do the wrong thing, I will pay with blood. And fair enough. ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back