Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

luke

Reaction score
I would just like to know if many other ppl feed there snakes out of there cage in a separate box or something (because it dosnt sound like it in some posts)
because i was of the understanding if you feed in there cage they will always be snappy any time you reach in
i know that as soon as i have choppa in his feed box he is ready to snap at anything that moves and when he is in his cage he wouldnt batter an eye lid.

thx just curious

Actually I feed her im my bathtub 90% of the time, the other 10% I feed her in her terrarium. She never snaps at me when iput my hand in the tank.
Moses

I tried to feed mine initially in a separate area, but then I became too lazy. I made the mistake when I first tried it, to move her before she had finished constricting the rat! I now realise this practice can be bad for a number of reasons, particulary if they have started eating and regurgitate. Anyway, for a hatchling, they are unbelievably strong! She didn't bite me but I was walking around with a python squeezed around my hand for the best part of half an hour, then she got bored & realized I wasn't tea and let go. She's bigger now, but still sizes me up when I go to get a hand in, but if I can get it in quick enough and she picks up my scent she won't bother even attempting to bite. You live & you learn! lol

yer i tend to get the case of the lazies
interesting anyway
i wouldnt see some with a larg collection taking every one out to feed but i guess

apparently, it's meant to stop the snake thinking it's feed time every time you open the enclosure. If you think about it, the snake probably thinks it's feed time when you get them out of the enclosure.....figure that one out???? I think I'd sooner use a hook and keep dinner time inside the enclosure. lol

they do get acustom to the area in witch you feed them. the behaviour of the snakes in there cage when you go to get them is dramatily differnt
its not the fact of taking them out its that they can sence the surounding there in,hence if you put the snake in 1 particular container they will get used to its sent and know that there is always food in there and will be expecting food.
feeding in there cage mixes the sents and there is no clear distiction weather your about to feed him or get him out for a walk.
i like this method but i was just wanted some other opinions

As pythons tend to rest very close to where they ambush prey I prefer the snake to think of its enclosure as its hunting ground. I find the old tap with a hook or stick before picking the snake up solves any biting problems, usually anyway :)

I feed most of my snakes (17 of them so far) out of their enclosures for a few reasons.

1 - It's cleaner to feed them in a plastic tub.
2 - It allows me to clean their enclosure while they are feeding.
3 - It might help in making them less aggressive.
4 - I use Breeders Choice, which could cause impaction if they swallow some.

Sometimes I get lazy, and if they are hanging for a branch I'll feed them in there...

cool yer i forgot to say say the part about its a good time to clean there cages

We so far havnt found our stimis or bhps to be any extra aggressive with us, we are only ever feeding them in their enclosures. We also dont use our hands to deliver the food. We have a long claw that we hold the mouse with and wriggle it for the snake. I have found that with using this our snakes never mistake our hands with food

i have always fed my snakes in their enclosures and havent even had one of them look at me hungrily yet (except for one of the childreni who still has a slight attitude problem lol). but then again i have only been keeping almost a year now so im probably not the best person to comment :)

i was under the impression that the biting when opening enclosure response is more likely to happen if you're only really opening the doors for feeding...ie: they dont get much handling? in which case mine get handled a lot more often than they get fed so it makes sense that they wouldnt associate the door opening with food. thats what ive heard anyway :p

thx guys/girls its just interesting to see the differnt ways/resons

I always feed my little family outside of their enclosure in the 'feed bucket', which is an actual bucket for the Macs, but a big plastic tub for the Olive.
I figure it is cleaner for them as the snake is eating in a pristine environment, and keeps the enclosure cleaner as dead rodent bits and juices don't find their way into the enclosure to grow bacteria or whatever.
I also think it helps condition them to be less agressive in the enclosure, as open door never means food.
I also use Breeders Choice and want to guard against potential impaction if they swallow some.
...and besides, I have to get them out of their enclosures for a pre-feed weigh-in anyway.

um i dont want to be dumb
but whats breeders choice :|

Hi nicole what do you use to weigh your snakes ?
I also get my murray out to feed i have not had him long but i use the time to handle him and clean the enclosure

I use Breeders Choice, which could cause impaction if they swallow some.

Think about this, breeders choice is a recycled newspaper substrate. Snakes have very strong stomach acids. Newspaper would be extremely easily digested by a snake, i would not be worried about your substrate causing impaction unless you are using a very tough substance like pebbles or sand. I hope that also answers your question luke.

Hi Doberman,

I usually put a container and a pillow case (or similar type of cloth bag) on the scale and hit zero. Then pop the snake into the pillow case and then into the container so they don't squirm about and off the scale.

..just on BC, I'm not doubting you at all Springherp, I think newspaper pulp would be no problem for digestion, but I've also seen the odd bit of plastic in with the BC, and perhaps this could do some damage. Some other site members have also mentioned finding staples, but I haven't found any myself. I may be being overly cautious, but I prefer not to take the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back