feeding adult beardies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent, post before and afters so we can see the pics side by side :)

will do, they'll have lost even more by next week! :)
(no internet at home) :)

Good luck with the continued weight loss, they are very pretty dragons!

he just said it wasnt necessary and alot of people 'do it wrong' and end up with sick or dead dragons.

forgot to bring the fotos which i promise i will post next week.
last night Chub weighed 625g and Bug weighed 583! :)

thats 30g Chubs lost, ang 24g fro Bug!

theyre getting greens daily, diluted juice when they ask fro it (every 4-5 days), a few medium roaches on the weekend and 1 giant south american mealworm each on wednesdays. gotta give my little angels something to get excited about! :)

still a long way to go, but i'm happy with 4-5g a week.

i will post pics next week, they still look waaaay too fat though,..

last night chub weighed 615g (down from 655) and Bug weighed 579, (down from 607) theyre very very slowly losing weight, they had a bit of a set back a bit over a month ago when i ran out of greens and gave them a few slivers of butternut pumpkin and they put on 20g each over 3 days,...seems to be fattening beardy food,...

anyway, they get a few leaves of the asain salad greens daily, a giant south american mealworm on wednesdays and about 4 roaches on roach cleaning day (sat or sun)

they swim and i chase chubby around, bug wont run so shes hard to chase,.. :)

When I bought my bearded dragon off david vella (I think that is his name) was he told me that when a bearded dragon lays out flat the body should not go past the dragons knees

pumpkin has a pretty high fat content -and crickets arent as fatty as woodies (which are very fatty -we had to disect them in entomology & they were mostly fat lol)

i just thought of a way you can make them exercise put crickets in a clear container and place it just outside their enclosure they will run back and foward trying to get to them when i feed my baby beardies crickets my adults can see their cage and run along the glass for ages trying to get the crickets

hehehehe....that's mean.. but not really. :p
I've never considered 'giving' my beardies excersise... swimming people say ay? Hmm..

Is it ok to feed crickets every day?

We've got an 18 month old boy who is just nuts for crickets and loves hunting them around his tank. I reckon he could easily put away about 20 medium crickets every day. I haven't measured and weighed him but I would estimate that he's around 40cm long. As for weight, dunno, but he looks good and not fat at all. I don't feed roaches or mealworms.

I've given him some bok choy, banana, strawberry and tomato and will continue to feed him a mix of greens and fruits every day. But can I still feed crickets every day? And if so, how many?

Hi Miss B,

an 18 month old beardy should only get a maximum of 50 crickets or 35 roaches a week, by that age they should be 80-90% vegetarian.

thanks fro that tip blake blake, i'll do the 'knee test' tonight. :)

oh, and i'll remember to bring the pics tommorrow. :)

updated weight loss pics, these are a couple of weeks old, they've lost a few more grams in the meantime,...i've included the befores in the hope u can see the difference,... :)
1. Bug now
2. Bug before
3. Chub now
4. Chub before

tehy still have a long was to go, but its a start,...

Attachments

• Bug 579.jpg
    Bug 579.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 31
  • bug607.jpg
    bug607.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 28
  • chub 618.jpg
    chub 618.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
They look good Chris! Another couple of weeks and I reckon they could score a gig as spokesdragons for Jenny Craig :D

Hey Chris,

Bug and Chub definitely look like they have lost weight. Soon they will be skinny minnies!

thanks!

looking @ the before and afters together they definately do look a little bit different,.....i'm aiming for around 500g or a bit less depending on how they look then, but should get there by summer,.. :)

hehe,...skinny minny spokesdragons,..hehehe

Chris you inspired me to weigh Diego tonight for the first time. I think he is the opposite of your girls - a bit scrawny and in need of fattening up :lol: He is 40cm long and weighs 280g.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back