Feeding cats to big snakes (the other side of the debate)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scorps

Hello,

This thread will get shut down I can prity much prodict, so quick question before it does,

If I find a litter of kittens (wild stray cats) on my property out west of cairns in the tablelands, can I LEGALLY (NOT MORELLY) humainly euthinise these cats and feed them to my hungry snakes after of course freezing for at leas 6 weeks?

I dont care if you like cats or not thats not for me to judge or care I just wont to know if this is legal or not, as far as i am aware, a cat is just as protected as a rat is in Australia so legally I could buy one and euthenis it if i wanted to?

scorps [Ben]

don't they employ people to catch and kill stray cats in some area's of Australia as they are a pest and danger to native wildlife?

Also, rabbits are a much loved family pet but people find it fine to feed them to snakes so why not cats, you see all these cats in the paper for free, why no put them to use, a kitten is about the same as an xxl rat so thats abou 8 bucks saved. I am not here for morals or debating I just wont to know if its legal.

As long as it its killed humanely there shouldn't be a problem, however I fund puppies more nutritious.

only if you post the pics LOL :D

If its legal I am going to get a cat out of the paper and co2 it then post pics, but only if its legal lol :)

I got some big scrubbies, morelia and waters getting tired of chickens and rats.

Haha puppies that reminds me of a funny story Jonno told me :p

are you going to tell the story ???
lol
and i dont think there is a law agains feeding your pythons on dead animals
and cats are pests like rats mice and rabbits i say go for it (but dont tell the misses)

I'd be worried about the giveaway ones in the paper. You never know what chemicals have been used on them (flea sprays etc). Using feral cats as food shouldn't be a problem though.

Feral cats (must be unowned) are a class 2 pest in Qld but I can't find the legislation that covers what ways to kill them are legal. Owned cats are not a pest and therefore I would suggest that getting cats out of the paper you might run into troubles with the law - I can't find any evidence on it though. Plus you're asking for trouble, as soon as someone finds out, regardless of whether it's legal or not, I'm sure you'll end up with your picture on the front of the paper courtesy of some animal welfare group! Is that worth saving $8?

If you really want to know go find a solicitor, I'm sure they could shuffle through the laws and work it out for you.

"A friend" had a litter of pitbulls and the runt was squashed to death by his 11 brother and sisters( big litter for APBT's) while he was at work and he fed it to one of his big pythons.

i dont know too many snakes that have eaten pittys....

donks

there can not be a law to protect cat of anysort to not be breed for food they are not australian native animales
coz if this was the case you wouldent be able to breed rats, mice, rabbits, guinea pigs, quail and chickens as food

Yes that should not be a problem,
Before you collect the kittens ask if they have had any cemicals on them (flea/worming liquids) if have i wouldn't use them...
It will be a very slow death for the kittens as it will take much longer to kill the kitten/s using CO2.

Cats have much bigger lungs then rats and mice,
So just think how long it takes to kill a adult rat using CO2 and times that by around 12 and that will be around how long it will take to kill a kitten.

Cats have much bigger lungs then rats and mice,
So just think how long it takes to kill a adult rat using CO2 and times that by around 12 and that will be around how long it will take to kill a kitten.

yeah bigger lungs so they would be ihaling alot more Co2, im confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back