Feeding cats to big snakes (the other side of the debate)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I love cats, they're great when they are DOMESTICATED and kept away from wildlife. Having said that, I'm all for it if someone wanted to humanely euthanise ferals and feed them to their pythons- its getting rid of a feral pest whilst making use of them at the same. waste not want not. Though, I wouldn't approve of it if you took 'free' animals advertised in the paper etc, those animals are domesticated (one would assume, at least) and have the chance to have a good life with a good family.

Not sure about the legalities about it, though I do wish you luck in finding out :p

The pound

The pound humainly kills unwanted cats and kittens all the time. Why not approach them and ask for a few to freeze.

It's pretty obvious that the pound humanely organizes for anumals to be killed but I think you are missing the point. These animals are destroyed by lethal injection and they should not be fed to your snakes as mentioned ssssnakeman's post.

I have just been on the phone for the past 45mins to the RSPCA, the DECC and NPWS. They are going to call me back when they've done some more research, as this seems to be a grey area with them too. Shooters are legally permitted to go out and cull feral cats, foxes etc, from farmlands/private properties. But when asked about the kitten situation, I was told that it is a different story. Apparently, if you find feral kittens, there is no way of knowing if they will be feral or not, because they're only kittens. That confused me, because if it's born from feral cats, then to me it would be feral.... but that's what they said.

As for the feeding of feral cats to reptiles, the NPWS are trying to find out where the RSPCA stand on this as it crosses the line with cruelty to animals. I brought up the process for breeding and culling rodents for reptile food, and how it stands with cruelty to animals. Still no answer. So I'm afraid that I am no clearer on the subject than I was an hour ago. And now that I have shed absolutely no light on the subject, I will sit back and wait for a reply from NPWS. I will let you know what they say as soon as I find out.

I have asked the RSPCA about this. Their reply was that because cats and dogs are very much the most common and "loved" domestic animal, that they would have a lot of trouble finding feeding kitten or puppies to reptiles acceptable (regardless of death).

However, I also asked about rats and mice and what their position is on this, and they said something along the lines that it is still wrong, but obviously necessary, and that rats and mice only come surplus from laboratories :rolleyes:

Have a look at my old thread about the subject, it has the actual replies in there.

Its probably better to look at the laws in your state than talk to beeding heart idiots who have no grasp on reality. A pig can make as good a pet as a dog or cat(well much better than a cat) so being able to be a friendly pet has nothing to do with it or we wouldnt have bacon.

a former co-worker of mine was breeding guinea pigs to feed to her partners snake and they were alive and only about a week old. the rspca was called as her daughter let it blabb to her neighbour and she was told if they found to do it again she would get a hefty fine. seriosly people at least ensure they have benn ethinised correctly instead of feeding them live food. thats when the issues come up.

Humans can be considered a pest too, certainly a lot worse than CATS. So I guess its ok to feed babies or chopped up parts of others to my dearest snakies. :D
LOL

do you mean a lil like this lol.... thanks for priceless thread to grizz, that pic was classic lol:lol:

It really all comes down to two things IMO.
- what counts as humane euthanasia - because lethal injection makes them not suitable for consumption, and other forms of killing might be against the law. Good on you Grumpy, it will be good if the authorities can give you an accurate response.
- do you want to feed feral cats to your snakes given all the diseases etc they can carry - would you collect mice/rats/pigeons from the wild environment and feed them? Freezing isn't necessarily going to kill everything, especially in something like a cat where they can carry lots of different diseases and parasites.
I don't think it would be acceptable or legal to collect someone's kittens as snake food unless you explicitly told them that's what you're going to do with them. That would be an RSPCA thing and I reckon you would definitely get prosecuted.

i dont think we should kick up to much dust on the subject ,or next they will make it illegal to breed rats in your backyard if it isnt already.I am definetly no fan of cats in australia , but as far as using kittens and puppies as snake food it just seems wrong, we should be content with being able to feed what animals are legal to feed atm .Plus these animals are carnivours doesnt that make the difference,they have different bacteria in there guts ,Do australian snakes eat cats in the bush feral cats i mean ,do they feed on dingo pups just all sounds like grounds for cross contamination and wouldnt be good for herp keeping at all .Imagine selling a snake and explaining when it reaches full size you can feed it kittens or puppies!.These animals are peoples pets our pets ,could you feed a cat to a dog?a dog to a cat?

I have just been on the phone for the past 45mins to the RSPCA, the DECC and NPWS. They are going to call me back when they've done some more research, as this seems to be a grey area with them too. Shooters are legally permitted to go out and cull feral cats, foxes etc, from farmlands/private properties. But when asked about the kitten situation, I was told that it is a different story. Apparently, if you find feral kittens, there is no way of knowing if they will be feral or not, because they're only kittens. That confused me, because if it's born from feral cats, then to me it would be feral.... but that's what they said.

As for the feeding of feral cats to reptiles, the NPWS are trying to find out where the RSPCA stand on this as it crosses the line with cruelty to animals. I brought up the process for breeding and culling rodents for reptile food, and how it stands with cruelty to animals. Still no answer. So I'm afraid that I am no clearer on the subject than I was an hour ago. And now that I have shed absolutely no light on the subject, I will sit back and wait for a reply from NPWS. I will let you know what they say as soon as I find out.

Kittens born from a feral cat will be the same as kittens born from a household cat...how they are raised will determine if they will turn feral or not :D

It is legal, though probably not best to make it public. As long as they are humanely euthanised (cervical dislocation, C02 gassing etc), you can do it. However, a lot of snakes will refuse them - only one adult Olive Python from a fairly substantial collection would take one.

i would think hard about were the cats are from were they have been and if they have any chamicals in them or deseases that might go to the snakes.

In SA Mike Rann was trying to pass a law so owners of dogs could not eat them.
So it must be legal, unless the law was passed in parliament.
Anyone for Chinese?

Grumpy the snake:
When you get your reply from the RSPCA, the DECC and NPWS.
Ask them where the legislation is written!
Otherwise they might just tell you there personal opinion?

I would doubt that feeding cats is a common practice anyway.
We have customers joke about it, but as far as I know now one I know has done it.

Hello,

This thread will get shut down I can prity much prodict, so quick question before it does,

If I find a litter of kittens (wild stray cats) on my property out west of cairns in the tablelands, can I LEGALLY (NOT MORELLY) humainly euthinise these cats and feed them to my hungry snakes after of course freezing for at leas 6 weeks?

I dont care if you like cats or not thats not for me to judge or care I just wont to know if this is legal or not, as far as i am aware, a cat is just as protected as a rat is in Australia so legally I could buy one and euthenis it if i wanted to?

scorps [Ben]

Well if you put into perspective like this. I used dead snakes as feeders for sme of my other animals and that was totally legal. Even though i had a few know it alls from this site telling me they were gonna send me to jail.

sorry to burst your bubble.. if it hasnt been already, but yes, rspca IS cracking down on home breeders, just like us. that breeds rats and mice. They are trying to stop the "INhumane" culling of pinki mice. some Home breeders have already found out the hard way.
You will never find a legislation stating its legal or humane to co2 a cat. By no means is it humane. Cats are killed with lethabarb injection as a method of humane, gas on the other hand is not. Hence why you arent getting any info and ill guarantee ringing up rspca would be the worst ppl to ask, as if they would turn around to tell you its ok. You know its not legal, so why bother?

Hello,

This thread will get shut down I can prity much prodict, so quick question before it does,

If I find a litter of kittens (wild stray cats) on my property out west of cairns in the tablelands, can I LEGALLY (NOT MORELLY) humainly euthinise these cats and feed them to my hungry snakes after of course freezing for at leas 6 weeks?

I dont care if you like cats or not thats not for me to judge or care I just wont to know if this is legal or not, as far as i am aware, a cat is just as protected as a rat is in Australia so legally I could buy one and euthenis it if i wanted to?

scorps [Ben]

why would u put it on a public forum um carnt see the point get over ur self

If its legal I am going to get a cat out of the paper and co2 it then post pics, but only if its legal lol :)

Whenever Im about to embark on a venture that may be questionable legal wise, I personally always ask the relevant authorities rather then a forum. Theres many knowledgeable people online, however laws do change and if there is a law change that just happened or is about to happen the Authorities will usually have a better knowledge on the matter and will be better positioned to inform you.
EPA should be able to let you know if you want to be 100% sure.
Dial 1831 before you dial if you dont want them to know your phone number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back