Feeding cats to big snakes (the other side of the debate)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on how fit/healthy they are.
As kittens it wouldn't take as long to kill them with CO2 compered to using it on a Adult Cat as they have stronger lungs and can inhale CO2 for a longer period of time then other animals, same with dogs.

your kidding. why dont you chop your mum up and feed her to your snakes

Great idea wranga, although I dont really want my snakes getting drunk from her alcohol soaked corpse :lol:
Who really cares about the morals of feeding cats to our snakes, if they are bred for that reason or are feral I cant see why people would object, Ive seen so many posts of people who love their rodents but still cull them to feed their snakes, personally I cant see the difference, yeah maybe knocking freebies out of the paper is pushing it, but seriously its a great idea for all those people who own larger pythons. I personally would rather breed rabbits for the job but hey each to their own...
Bax

Pfft, people find it perfectly acceptable to drown kittens, so why not?
And what about all those sickos that soak cats in petrol etc and light them on fire for a cheap party trick.. Why would humanely euthanising kittens to feed a native animal create a uproar?

Just watched this vid on youtube by Tony aka sssnakeman069 and thought it might be of interest to some, I will warn it does go for 9 mins..
[video=youtube;3qhlKmC6dc0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qhlKmC6dc0&feature=channel[/video]

How many cats have eaten our natives?
I rekond its karma.
As long as its not done for stupid reasons, i guess why not?
As long as its done humanely like all bred food too!
I think getting cats from the giveaway section in the paper is wrong, unless you inform the givers what you are going to do with them.
I grew up with cats & like them, but any cat outside after dark is fair game in my opinion.
I know its not the cats fault, but the owners, they must not care for Australian natives, whats the differance?
I have never done it, just my opinion.

go for it i comend you for getting rid of a pest

i like cats but i also understand that in some areas they are pests, imo if they are infact pest cats then it should be ok, but we are all only giving our opinion, i think that if it is illegal, RSPCA would be the one to get on to you, so why not ask them.. only way to know for sure. the answer may not be a good one, if they tell you it is legal, then people willl go round killing peoples pets to feed their snakes. then their would be a problem.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with you doing it at all, especially if you were knocking off feral litters. Good riddance to the killing machines I reckon. Morally, taking the freebies from the local paper may start some issues, but ferals are shot anyway. I don't see why there would be legal implications other than the method of euthanasia, it would have to be humane to keep RSPCA off your back. Not sure who's pic this is, found it on Google. However this was probably someone's pet.....

About three or four years ago a Queensland member posted pics of feeding kittens to her snakes. She was obtaining unwanted kittens from a pet store, euthanize them humanly and legally then freeze and feed. Someone complained and she got a visit from animal welfare who DID NOT stop her.

NOTE : laws may have changed since then

Hello,

This thread will get shut down I can prity much prodict, so quick question before it does,

If I find a litter of kittens (wild stray cats) on my property out west of cairns in the tablelands, can I LEGALLY (NOT MORELLY) humainly euthinise these cats and feed them to my hungry snakes after of course freezing for at leas 6 weeks?

I dont care if you like cats or not thats not for me to judge or care I just wont to know if this is legal or not, as far as i am aware, a cat is just as protected as a rat is in Australia so legally I could buy one and euthenis it if i wanted to?

scorps [Ben]

Yep, their a feral pest.
As long as its done humanely, its fine.
Feral cats are a major pest and a litter of them would do a fair bit of damage to our native wildlife, so i would do it without a second thought.

Did you say mother in law.................:D:lol:

Mungus, I'm with you on that train of thought! :lol: The mother in law is one of the most devastating species around!

To those people saying 'the only good cat is a dead cat,' while I don't really have any care factor for cats... it's this kind of mentality that we, as herp enthusiasts, have been up against for years with 'the only good snake is a dead snake,' argument. I think it's important that we try and stay above these kind of statements. We don't want to give the wider community the satisfaction of knowing we have stooped to their level... If we simply discuss the ethics involved, I think we'll be a better community for it!

I agree Matt.
Let's just stay on the ethics and keep cat hating comments out of it.

:lol:i like this thread....... why hasn't anyone asked sooner lol:lol:
so long as it's euthenaised humainly you wouldn't think there'd be a problem.. well from the authorities at least, if it got out that thats what you were doing and using cats for..

What about the risk of disease communication? Domestic cats are prone to many different types of parasitic and viral infections. The risks of these infections on our snakes is unknown. For my mind there is enough choice of feed already for any sized snake and the herp-culture has been getting along fine without using a diet of cats. We do not need to risk the health of our animals for the sake of a free feed.

If you feel you need to do the planet a favour buy culling down the unwanted or feral cat populations by all means go and humanely dispose of a few cats but do something else with the bodies.

To those people saying 'the only good cat is a dead cat,' while I don't really have any care factor for cats... it's this kind of mentality that we, as herp enthusiasts, have been up against for years with 'the only good snake is a dead snake,' argument. I think it's important that we try and stay above these kind of statements. We don't want to give the wider community the satisfaction of knowing we have stooped to their level... If we simply discuss the ethics involved, I think we'll be a better community for it!

I dont really like cats but agree with your comments matt.

most of us would probably agree that people that say 'the only good snake is a dead snake,' are uninformed, ignorant and/or rednecks..
lets not tag ourselves with that same brush ;)

I would like to thank everyone for keeping sensible in this thread and not freaking ou because a cat is getting killed, I am not going to go out and kill cats I basicaly just wanted to know the legality about it.

well would you consider unwanted puppies as well then?....because if your thinking is simply to be rid of unwanted animals then anything should be up for thought ...but if your just sticking with cats only then to me you have a deeper meaning of why you just want cats ....

Scorps if you want an accurate answer regarding the legalities of the euthanisation wild/unwanted cats you really need to speak to the governing bodies in your state. They will be able to advise you of what your rights are in regards to humane euthanisation and disposal of the bodies.

Most likely it will be via injection in a controlled environment by a vetinarian.

Regards, Ewan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back