Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon170

Reaction score
I have got a mate who is new to reptiles and I am helping him out. But we have 2 problem feeders out of about 10 snakes that he got. After a few problems with the others they began to feed. However the Darwin carpet and the spotted still will not feed. Have tried braining pinkies, scenting with finch feathers, tried leaving the mice in the cage over night all to no avail. wondering if the pilchard scenting will work and if so does it matter what type of pilchard (ie. canned frozen fresh etc.) would love to know. Will take any other suggestions love to hear from you guys thanx for the help
:?

Last edited:
Both hatched December had supposedly had one mouse each can get spotted to strike then just drops it. Neither have feed for 6-8 weeks but both had sheds a 2 to 3 weeks ago:rolleyes:

I read the pilchard thing in another part of the forum but no idea how successful it would be. could someone give me some more ideas as not a big fan of feeding live mice but might try live pinkies yet.

Last feeds were on the 16/1/07 have just tried the chicken soup scenting got a little bit more interest but still wouldn't take it should I start to think about feeding live?:shock:

Hi dragon170, I have had hatchlings that have gone for two months or before their first feed. They can be problem feeders but will usually eat after scenting mouse pinkies with gecko's. Sometimes they prefer rat pnkies to mice pinkies & vice versa. Some just take a bit longer than others. Make sure they are not stressed, heating is right etc.
Generally they look in good condition but naturally they are not as big as the good feeders.

try using a small garden skink to either scent the mouse or feeding the skink to the snake first however this could cause internal parasites possibly but it could be worth a try before you give force feeding or anything equally as drastic a go

With the Spotted Python, it sounds as though the reason it is not eating is because it is stressed. The fact it strikes but does not hold onto the prey would suggest it is striking in defence rather then a feeding response. Try and disturb the snake as little as possible when attempting to feed. Also, offer the pinky on the end of long forceps so the snake doesn't know you are there. If possible, do not remove the animal from its hide when feeding, try and get the lid off the tub without disturbing the snake, then using forceps, place the brained pinky in front of the entrance of the hide and move it around to try and get the attention of the snake. Try to have the head closest to the snake so that it gets a good taste of the blood. Sometimes the snakes head will be at the back of the hide and it won't notice the pinky at all, so it may take several attempts before you have success. Also make sure the pinky is as warm as a live one would be.

For the Darwin, wait until you see him out and about during the night. Again, try and open the tub without the snake noticing, and using forceps present a brained fuzzy to the snake slowly. Once he starts tasting it you may need to move it around a bit to get him to strike.

The key for shy snakes it to be able to present the food to the snake without them knowing you're there. It takes a bit of practice but you'll quickly learn what to do, and what not to do, judging by the reactions and the stress levels of the snake.

I will try to catch a wild skink in the next few days as no one has pet ones around herewill try swapping from mice to rats any idea how long before i should worry, still might try the scenting with a pilchard that I read in another forum. Thanks for the ideas everyone. I am not going to introduce an parasites by scenting with a skink?:rolleyes:

Well I couldn' t get the Darwin to feed yet still to nervous as soon as I open the Click clack he looks at the mouse then runs and hides tried him and thespotted on a live pinkie as their second feed. The Spotted when left alone with it for about half an hour ate it, Iwas happy:lol: . Hopefully the next one will be a frozen or fresh kill. Having problems finding a skink so will try scenting with a pichard in the next few days. But I am always open to new ideas:shock: . Thanks to all those who have tried to help.

Sucess

I finally got that Darwin to eat something it was a live Fuzzie mouse left over night. Thanks again for all the ideas hopefully this will be the start to a lot more feeds and hopefully on thawed. :p :)

Thats great!
I hope your success continues :)

WHat has worked for me is putting then hatchy in a small take away container, the really small ones. And putting a mouse/rat pink in with it and leaving it in a dark place. It has taken from a couple of hours to work upto three days but it is something that has never failed me.

Braining pinkies is when you peairce the head and let the brains oozz out and most snakes feed after this process but every now and again it wont. A way i got a couple of my problem feeders to eat if fubbing the pinkies in rabbit fur and this always works for me but i do presume that there will be times when it wont but ive got my fingers crossed lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back