Feeding live mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
use 2 only feed live, but my childreni stopped eatin for abit when i tried frozen, but they usually come round when they know wats good for them!!

How is bashing in their skull more humane than the freezer?????????
Bashing the skull or similar instantly stops brain function-> the brain is the centre of the nervous system, it's the nervous system that sends pain messages. No brain, no pain.

Freezing a mammal is the opposite, the nervous system triggers a panic response to both the pain of the cold and the temperature drop. It is an instinctive method of cellular preservation. Animals reactively withdraw from sources of pain. Warm blooded animals move more to maintain their body temp, which in a freezer would be exhaustive and futile. It would be a slow and terrifying way for a warm blooded animal to die.

I think you have mice confused with toads. Toads being cold blooded flip into sleep mode as their means of cellular preservation, so it considered humane as they do not react with a stress response.

Last edited:
Killing rodents

I keep lots of snakes, pythons and elapids. I also have a large rodent breeding facility. I breed my own to feed my snakes and excess to sell to local herp keepers to defray costs. When killing just a few I do it this way, hold rodent by tail on a hard surface, then using a blunt instrument, I give a short sharp hit to the upper back, this will stun rodent and cause its demise very quickly. If you bash its skull in, as some suggest, this will cause it to bleed out of the nose making a mess. Plus, you have lost a little protein that your snake would otherwise get.
When killing large numbers, sometimes up to a hundred at a time, I place all these into a large sturdy plastic bag, [henceforth known as the 'rat bag'] I place the hose from the CO2 cylinder into this bag, all the way to the bottom. I then compress the bag with hands and sqeeze all the air out.
I then turn on the CO2 and re-inflate the bag. This kills them very quickly, and saves on gas, as opposed to the sealed bucket method. I then spread dead rodents out on bench top to allow them to cool down before packing and freezing. I often feed out fresh kills, but then I have my own microscope and check regularly for parasites/eggs in my snakes poo and rodents poo!
When, [and its not often] I find evidence of parasites in either, I worm appropriately.
This is the way I do it, it works for me and I shall not entre into debate as to weather it is right, wrong, or otherwise!

Shlanger – thanks for your description on how you kill rodents – From what you have described – you have followed the guidelines set by ANZCCART (The body that sets the guidelines for keeping of laboratory animals). I do agree whacking a rodent is not the “best” method as it will result in bleeding from nose – As mentioned before it fails to meet the guidelines by traumatizing any spectators (Anyone reviewing the euthanasia method).

The only thing I would add – it is a good idea to freeze rodents for over a month before feeding out – that will remove parasites. (The chance of parasites in a colony is pretty low).

A little more about breeding rodents – you will require a minimum of 25 pairs as any less will result in inbreeding. (Reduced litters/mutation/weaker animals).

Once again - Shlanger - great post.

I agree quick sharp head bang on a hard surface mice dont feel it snake can still enjoy a nice warm meal and no problems key is make sure that the mouse is really gone first before giving to snake ,,sometimes frozen are not thawd properly ....so if u dont have a problem grab mouse by base of tail quick jerk and its all over red rover ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back