Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatelina

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
After watching a few movies on YouTube of people feeding live prey to their pet snakes I've suddenly realised that I don't think I will ever be able to kill my pet snakes food! However feeding live prey is out of the question for me as not only is it ILLEGAL, but morally I am disgusted by it for these reasons:-

-domesticated prey that is bred and 'grown' lack the adrenaline rush that animals get in the wild when out hunting/feeding/scavaging/and being hunted and therefore feel more pain when they get crushed slowly to death and are bitten

-our often overfed pet snakes that can miss prey may not have it down pat to kill live prey (as they are slightly domesticated) so invoke more pain with the more strikes they have

-I used to breed mice (and was quite good at it) and had rodents (including many rabbits, guinea pigs and rats) as loved pets before I had an interest in reptiles.

Here are some GRAPHIC videos of live prey feeding that I have come across on YouTube..
(did you read the graphic part? Some people may not like them. Others will find it fascinating)
[video=youtube;AiLmcPNxvOA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiLmcPNxvOA[/video]
[video=youtube;aFJoTmmYXuw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFJoTmmYXuw&mode=related&search=[/video]
[video=youtube;8FbPJQqhQB8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FbPJQqhQB8&NR[/video]

If you breed your own feed, how do you kill them? Do you care about minising pain?
Did you ever have a problem feeding live prey? If so how did you overcome it?
Have you/do you feed your reptiles live prey?

On another completely reversed note..... a live snake gets eaten.. for a change.
(WARNING: also graphic to some)
[video=youtube;0BGp_SiCGgs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BGp_SiCGgs[/video]

there was a thread a while back of someones home made carbon dioxide gas chamber. cant remember who posted it. it involved bi-carb soda and vinegar in a large plastic box.

I hold the rat/mouse by the base of the tail, and wack their head against a brick, instant death.

I dont feed live Rodents to my animals, not worth the risk to the snake.............

Look at this one, WARNING dont watch any videos on this thread it may make you upset !
[video=youtube;6yijl5I0ruk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yijl5I0ruk&mode=related&search=[/video]

Makes me SICK !

But seriously why would you feed your snakes live food, cruelty, may hurt your snake and is discusting to watch !

grab their tail and wack their heads on a rock or something it kills them instantly every time if you do it right. Breaking their necks is also acceptable by law too and kills fairly quick.
Co2 gassing is good for large numbers and for ppl who cant handle the other way(im not saying that is bad either). If you dont gas them right it can also be cruel.

I have fed live prey before and will in the future if needed. It is perfectly legal if you need live food to get the animal to eat and thats the only time i ever do it.

I like watching wild animals hunt in the wild and stuff, but setup things like you see on youtube are pretty ***t up IMO.

Still ppl who let there cats outside where they can kill and torture wildlife are far worse than ppl who feed live food to their snakes.

there was a thread a while back of someones home made carbon dioxide gas chamber. cant remember who posted it. it involved bi-carb soda and vinegar in a large plastic box.

I didn't read that thread... I wonder if that would be more humane than the 'whack' method..

At this stage I can't see myself whacking a mouse or rat.. :s although logically it tells me that it would be the quickest and most painfree death of all the options..but still.. *shudders*
oh dear.. I have so much to learn with my new found love of reptiles..

the souvenir shop in the solomons will have some business coming their way me thinks lol

hey,i just buy frozen mice and rats. im too soft to kill'em myself

there should be a note at the start of this thread that the video will upset some viewers

there should be a note at the start of this thread that the video will upset some viewers

There was just before the videos.. I bolded it and mentioned it twice. Did you read the post?

yeah like when i posted it i put a warning ..and its funny to see how differnt your opions are now only 30min later....you know who you are....live feeding can harm your snake......

i skimmed over it....but i didn't notice the warning...sorry

nuggets you got the wrong end of the club er um snake fella!!! er thats if your comments were directed at me..

whiteyluvsrum said:
here it is, swift and quick! dont feel a thing.
Is that what you really use?! Do you ever squish your food unintentionally? Ew....

hey,i just buy frozen mice and rats. im too soft to kill'em myself
I think I will have to do exactly the same... But unfortunately there are no suppliers or pet shops in my area! Bah! So will either need to trek...or learn how to do it myself! :s =s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back