Feeding Live

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vixen

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
It amazes me the amount of people who feed live just for the sake of it.

Every time I go into a petshop, people are there buying rats/mice, and the store owners know exactly what its for because they are talking about it. Pet shops should not be selling them for that reason, for one, its illegal? Overhearing convos between them, they actually admit its because they like watching the poor thing die.

And the newest wanted post :rolleyes: "because he doesnt want to feed it that frozen stuff"
Its a downright stupid thing to do, especially if the snake then develops an addiction to live. What happens when its older and has to be fed adult rats *bye bye snake*?

Some people should not be allowed to keep snakes, or any animals for that matter.

EDIT : perhaps rodent breeders should stop selling to these people, unless it is for the genuine reason that their animal doesnt accept frozen.

yep true to that, most pet shops would ask what its for even though you can lie to them.

it all comes down to most dont know its illegal, before i joind this site i fed my beardie live and knew nothing about it being illegal or wrong. the petshop wouldnt say "you know its illegal"

Last edited:
I used to buy live mice from petshops for feeding, (before I had a big enough breeding colony) The frozen mice usually look like crap, I always told them they are for feeding and ask if any treatments have been used on them for pests ect, They where of course dispatched humanely before feeding.... But I feed fresh I kill what I need when I need it, why should that be illegal?

It goes against EPA code of practise = prey/food item must be presented in an humane manner.
some snakes will only take "fresh killed" prey items anyway

Dont get me wrong, fresh killing them before feeding is ok, its just the fact these people FEED them live.

As I said, I overheard someone and the petstore owner talking, and he admitted they are for snake food and he enjoys watching the mouse die.

IMO there is only one valid reason for feeding live, and that is if the snake refuses to eat frozen or fresh killed.

1. Poses a serious threat to the snake itself
2. Is plain cruel
3. Isnt natural (most common excuse ive heard :rolleyes:) Keeping a snake cooped up in a captive enviroment isnt natural, so the two cant be compared anyway..
4. Is illegal.

Wait for the post from some idiot asking about their python with an infected eye from a rat bite.
I don't even want to think of what will happen in a year or so when they have to feed adult rats to their poor snake.

There are some petshops that are doing the right thing though - I was at this one in the city and this fella came along and wanted to buy mice. He was asked by an employee what he wanted them for, and he said he wanted to feed his snake. Employee flat out refused and told him they won't sell them for feeding purposes or as gifts. So yea, it's good to see that the right thing is being done in some places!:lol:

you have a point there but what about people who have elapids what do they feed the elapids and how.

you have a point there but what about people who have elapids what do they feed the elapids and how.

Elapids eat frozen aswell, fair enough if the person has to use live as an absolute last resort but thats no excuse to do it for so called entertainment which seems to be some peoples problem, especially if they know that its wrong. Nothing but ignorance on their part.

My mate has elapids all the big bitey ones lol.He has no problem feeding his thawed rodents he just gives them a wiggle and they nail it.

I don't think my snake would now what to do if I put a live prey item into the enclousure, she likes to lick her food first and they might be a bit hard if it keeps moving around.

Maybe some people like to feed their snakes fresh killed?:D

Argh for the third time, I realise some people feed fresh killed, this isnt the problem, its people buying them live to FEED live.

And very funny python pit, you should get a humor award, kudos. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Nah, serious. :rolleyes:

i dont know how someone can get there jollys by feeding live rats. Feeding pythons live prey is wrong unless the python will only take live , but with practice and pateince you can convert the problem feeder to freshkilled rats and this practice should be applied. cheers

i bought rats from a melb pet shop on sunday never asked what i wanted them for, but we are breeding them then will be killed by co2

I wouldn't have gotten my baby mac if it meant feeding him live mice. I just couldn't do it.
Before I realised they eat thawed out ones I was asking the guy at the pet store if I could feed him crickets or strips of beef.
And then I was told that live food is dangerous to the snake, especially if its been in captivity its whole life.

It makes sense to me, things don't like dying, it's instinct to try your hardest to survive, so of course they are going to fight back. And I would never EVER willingly put my baby in danger. I'd never be able to forgive myself if he went blind or even worse, died of infection.

But of course, I know some people who just don't seem to understand that animals are living things which feel pain and fear as much as we do. It's 'only' a mouse, or 'only' a snake. what does it matter if they spend the last of life in agony through suffocation or infection. It's illegal for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back