Feeding Live

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im glad this discussion came up.

Ive never fed live or even tried to buy them but my point is i didnt even know it was illegal. No one has ever mentioned it to me.

I was aware of the risk of infection etc. and that is why i never considered it.

how odd some comments are like oddball....WHAT DO YOU THINK CRICKETS FEEL WHEN BEING EATEN LIVE BY DRAGONS?...........what you said doesnt make sense like that of a vegen that says I cant eat meat killing is wrong but they eat fish...........the only true reason for not feeding live prey and I mean running around in the enclosure live is the risk of if your snake isnt hungry there and then the mouse /rat has the upper hand and its well known that they will bite and even eat bits out of the snake ,,,your snake is at high risk in this case compared to wild where they can set themselves up in a decent ambush strike the mouse /rat doesnt see the snake but in a controlled enclosure this is not the case the mouse knows what its in for and of course its going to react the snake cant set itself up in a ambush style attack and so its vunrable ...people that do this dont have the concerns and welfare of their snake at heart and really shouldnt own one ...:evil:

how odd some comments are like oddball....WHAT DO YOU THINK CRICKETS FEEL WHEN BEING EATEN LIVE BY DRAGONS?...........what you said doesnt make sense like that of a vegen that says I cant eat meat killing is wrong but they eat fish...........:evil:

If we arent supposed to eat animals then why are they made of meat? ;)

To be honest i dont really see the big deal, i dont feed my pythons live food because it causes unrequired suffering for the prey and snakes are too stupid to tell the differance usually so there is no benifit. It is illegal just like feeding fish and shrimps(in qld) to virtually all fish and turtles. It is also illegal under the same rules to allow any animal eg. your dog or cat to get into any situation where it may kill another animal eg. letting it outside in your yard where it may eat or even just stand on a garden skink or a mouse. Everyone i know who has a dog or cat breaks that and there is a maximum penalty of 1 year jail in Qld. The law is a joke and you would only get in trouble if you were feeding live cats or dogs infront of the public IMO.

I think its a bit odd that someone would keep snakes and not be interested in watching how they catch and kill their prey.

When it comes to cruel behaviour fishing(especially when not even for food) would have to be the most cruel activity engaged in on a large scale, they only have a exemption for it because its popular. IMO the government has gone way too far imposing it own ethics onto us and there should only be laws against acts of "cruelty" done simply for the sake of cruelty or deliberate neglect of animals JMO.

end of ranting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back