Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get mum to nick down to Coles or Woolies and get a timer. You can get 2packs for under $20. Have your heat light come on for 1-1 1/2 hours and off for an hour between say 8am and 6pm as an initial setup. My heat mat cycled on and off 24/7 for similar periods to the light. If I were you I would get a friend who really has some experience to come over and have a look and help you sort out that side of things. My fishtank enclosure ran both light and heat mat, the heat mat warmed some black coffee rock as a basking spot and location she could choose to find as needed and the lamp helped with the ambient temps during the day.

Get mum to nick down to Coles or Woolies and get a timer. You can get 2packs for under $20. Have your heat light come on for 1-1 1/2 hours and off for an hour between say 8am and 6pm as an initial setup. My heat mat cycled on and off 24/7 for similar periods to the light. If I were you I would get a friend who really has some experience to come over and have a look and help you sort out that side of things. My fishtank enclosure ran both light and heat mat, the heat mat warmed some black coffee rock as a basking spot and location she could choose to find as needed and the lamp helped with the ambient temps during the day.

Haha i will have to get that tomorrow, will turn it off during day just in case when no one is here.

Just put in his ornaments and second hide again and he's up and exploring once again and looks happier, so i am happier now too! Gone straight under his hideing rock/tunnel on top of the heat mat. Heat lamp turned off for night...

As said if the temps are that high without the sides being covered they will quite a bit higher with the sides covered.

I would be turning off the light and remeasuring the temps to see what sort of hot spot the heatmat can produce. Heat mats can be run with an on/off thermostat which tend to be cheaper. I would recommend a dimming thermostat for the light. More expensive but a good quality one will last you years and save you money on bulbs.

If the heat mat when on by itself is creating a hot spot which is too warm prop the enclosure up a few mills higher until a suitable hotspot temp is reached. If it isn't getting warm enough I would then go with gruni's idea of timers for the light.

As said if the temps are that high without the sides being covered they will quite a bit higher with the sides covered.

I would be turning off the light and remeasuring the temps to see what sort of hot spot the heatmat can produce. Heat mats can be run with an on/off thermostat which tend to be cheaper. I would recommend a dimming thermostat for the light. More expensive but a good quality one will last you years and save you money on bulbs.

If the heat mat when on by itself is creating a hot spot which is too warm prop the enclosure up a few mills higher until a suitable hotspot temp is reached. If it isn't getting warm enough I would then go with gruni's idea of timers for the light.

Will do all of that, do i put the temp probe so it touched the ground or how far above if not..?

- - - Updated - - -

29-ish hot end, around 26 cold end...will measure again in the morning and again in afternoon without light on to get accurate temps :)

That sounds more promising. The thermometer probe should be on the bottom of the tank where the heat spot is that you snake will be in contact with.

When you get the thermostat attach the thermostat probe to the heat mat and adjust until the thermometer probe gives a good reading.

For the light's thermostat you want to place that probe on the basking spot. I normally use silicone to attach my probes so they don't get moved around. Do not use tape.

The timers are a cheap and effective way to work things until you can afford a thermostat which is why I suggested it, otherwise I agree with Redfox. To be honest I use a thermostat on the heat cord in the new enclosure but I still get the results I want with a timer on my heat lamp.

Thanks guys, i will be getting the timer as well as doing the other measurements in the morning and afternoon with no heat light on...the probe was in the same spot-hot end wall, below light, about 1/4 from the floor. Heat mat measurement from same place...will measure closer and report back...needs to set in for a while

Thankyou all for your help :)

- - - Updated - - -

So sitting on the paper on the mat, it is about 36 again...thats directly on top of the one sheet of paper on the heat mat...i might elevate the enclosure a little..?

If you can put your probe directly on your heat mat, that'd be even better and don't rely on the thermostat to give you or be at the temp you set it too, one of my thermostats is two degrees out, and yes elevate just a little, I use the kids colouring pencils under the hot end of a glass enclosure... good luck :)

If you can put your probe directly on your heat mat, that'd be even better and don't rely on the thermostat to give you or be at the temp you set it too, one of my thermostats is two degrees out, and yes elevate just a little, I use the kids colouring pencils under the hot end of a glass enclosure... good luck :)

I think she means the thermometer probe and not the thermostat probe as she has not purchased the thermostat yet. I would place the thermometer probe touching the floor as it will give you the exact temperature of the surface that your snake will touch.

Must admit I love my temp gun. Point the little laser around the place and take my surface readings in a heart beat. :)

I think she means the thermometer probe and not the thermostat probe as she has not purchased the thermostat yet. I would place the thermometer probe touching the floor as it will give you the exact temperature of the surface that your snake will touch.

Did that, went up to 37.5 and then settled around 37.2, have elevated the enclosure with two pieces of an eraser haha will check and report back in the morning :)

Did that, went up to 37.5 and then settled around 37.2, have elevated the enclosure with two pieces of an eraser haha will check and report back in the morning :)

Just remember that cold will take a lot longer to kill a snake than heat will so just keep an eye on the maximum. 37.2 is a bit high but should not hurt your snake if there is a cooler retreat.

Just remember that cold will take a lot longer to kill a snake than heat will so just keep an eye on the maximum. 37.2 is a bit high but should not hurt your snake if there is a cooler retreat.

Thanks, so it wont burn his belly if he went onto it for a while on end? probably a bit cooler now though anyway

Thanks, so it wont burn his belly if he went onto it for a while on end? probably a bit cooler now though anyway

It should be fine but make sure it doesn't get much more that what it is.

That's warm enough, if you turn the light on all day that will get much hotter.

That's warm enough, if you turn the light on all day that will get much hotter.

so i should get the timer this afternoon and then the temps will be correct if i put it on a 1 1/2 hour on 1 hour off time scheme?

You will have to play with that a bit. Depends on where you are and what the ambient temps are. You might only want 1hr on 1 1/2 off, or have it come on for an hour and a half in the morning and again in the late afternoon. That is where it comes up to individual enclosures etc and why I suggested getting one of your other snake owner friends to have a look with you.

- - - Updated - - -

I assume 32* is the surface temp. Do a reading higher up and get an ambient temp for that end of the enclosure as the air temp of the enclosure won't be 32*.

our first snake a beautiful little proserpine was so stressful for us she refused to eat for 9 months, we ended up giving her a dose of reptile woomaroo to encourage her hunger and maybe three weeks after that she started eating she is still finicky but eats most of the time now. Also one of my albino's is fussy to he eats when he feels like it. I think don't stress out about it, make sure your temps are right, and the animal has settled in properly, give it some time then try again. Hope you can get it to feed soon.

our first snake a beautiful little proserpine was so stressful for us she refused to eat for 9 months, we ended up giving her a dose of reptile woomaroo to encourage her hunger and maybe three weeks after that she started eating she is still finicky but eats most of the time now. Also one of my albino's is fussy to he eats when he feels like it. I think don't stress out about it, make sure your temps are right, and the animal has settled in properly, give it some time then try again. Hope you can get it to feed soon.

Thanks. Breeder suggested feeding mice of same size so doing that tomorrow night :)

- - - Updated - - -

Okay so i have the timer-comes on at 8, turn off 10, then comes on again at 2pm and off at 4...

- - - Updated - - -

Tried the mouse idea, adult mouse which is a good size for him by the looks. He liked the smell and after a while i brained the mouse a little and put it in front of his sniffing nose, turned the light of and two minutes later he is eating it! I'm so happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back