Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
meehan05 i would take a bullet for you on cod5 jks it will ruin my kill streak

woma's have not increased in the wild at all if anything they have declined further, they are listed as endangered, just because they are super easy to breed in captivity and they are as availible as antaresia species dosent mean squat

there are more then afew species that are widely bred in international zoo's but are almost nonexistant in the wild

I've kept out of this thread for a while, just checked in to see where it's gone. A lot of hot air being wasted over something that isn't going to happen. Get a beardie and look at it through green-tinted glasses...

Australian zoo conservation project Had a beardie once always liked em

Last edited by a moderator:
name a single australian institution which is breeding woma's and releasing them in the wild?

what is the name of this fantacy world you live in where you know everything and if you dont you will just make it up?

I watched a show on ABC the other day where an organisation has been releasing womas into a wildlife reserve in South Australia and tracking them daily... They found one inside a Mulga snake fairly quickly...

It's unlikely that the womas were captives to begin with. They were probably caught, had the tracking devices inserted (a surgical thing) and released where they were found. Common practice, but not with captive bred animals.

J.

australia zoo breeds and releases.

that Iguana has a strikeing resemblance to "Jub jub" at Currumbin wildlife, Herpsrule?

Australia Zoo breeds and releases what sharpshot? They bred and released Varanus keithhornei ONCE, by arrangement with Qld National Parks, anything else I don't know about?

J.

Australia Zoo breeds and releases what sharpshot? They bred and released Varanus keithhornei ONCE, by arrangement with Qld National Parks, anything else I don't know about?

J.

he should write wiki articles...........

Jamie

What you've said is normally the case, but in this particular case the article claims they were captive-bred, presumably by the zoo. Here's the article:

Snake-eat-snake: endangered pythons wipeout - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Having said that, such stories are extremely rare (and in this case the experiment was largely unsuccessful). There have been very few releases of captive-bred reptiles. Wildlife authorities are unwilling to repopulate areas with animals whose genetical make-up is "polluted" - ie mixed between different populations. So usually what happens is that animals are taken from the area, bred up under controlled conditions, and the young are re-introduced back into the same area once they are able to fend for themselves.
The same can't be said for animals held by most herpers. We often can't be certain of animals' provenance, so there's no way they would accept regular captive-bred animals back into an area as "wild" animals. Even if we put our hands on our hearts and said their lineage is completely from area X, once they become captive-held they are usually considered "lost" to the world of wildlife.
But all of this is off-topic now (somewhat thankfully, I think). The idea of us having and breeding Fijian iguanas is cloud-cuckooland stuff. I'm all for focussing on our own species - helping out as best we can. Goodness knows they need all the help they can get.

some iguana pics from the USA (tom crutchfield pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back