Finally Underway

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Be sure to get a good sparky when it comes time to wire the heating and lighting up. ;)

You can tell you are not a chippy. They would have laid the merbu in the opposite direction ;-), ie parallel to the adjoining structure The deck I knocked up has the decking boards running away from the house also in order that we could have it with a rounded end. My chippy son who has laid many decks said that it was the first he had worked on with the boards running that way.

You can tell you are not a chippy. They would have laid the merbu in the opposite direction , ie parallel to the adjoining structure

He also put the reeded decking upside down.

Splitmore said:
my God, I hope your putting in more substantial piers under the bearers than just a single brick on its end?????!!!!!!!!

I was worried that there was not damp course or ant caps between the piers and the bearers.

[quote

He also put the reeded decking upside down.[/quote]

That's debatable now isn't it? Rough side up prevents slippage, and rough side down help for water drainage

That's debatable now isn't it?

Well, it is and it isn't.
Reeded decking was designed to be put with the reeded part down for airflow. It stops it rotting out above the joists. People may prefer to use it wrongly, but that is what it is designed for. A bit like I could use my computer as a door stop. It would work, it's just not how it was designed to be used.

Either way i think hes done a tops job and its going to look great!

I prefer the reeded side down (for the aesthetics, not so much the ventilation) I believe it is rarely now installed reeded side up but for a prentie enclosure it will give them more traction when getting up a head of steam to launch themselves at the local cats.

Magpie said:
That's debatable now isn't it?

Well, it is and it isn't.
Reeded decking was designed to be put with the reeded part down for airflow. It stops it rotting out above the joists. People may prefer to use it wrongly, but that is what it is designed for. A bit like I could use my computer as a door stop. It would work, it's just not how it was designed to be used.
I agree, although with the number of ppl putting it up that way I think it's become fashionable lol The correct way is indeed with the rough side down, but hey lol

Nice deck Africa :D

Afro, thats awesome, good to see you have got the best interest of your herps at heart. Just a few tips from a chippy's point of view, i agree with "inthegrass" you need ant capping between the piers and bearers, and you have put the decking in up-side down, the grooves are on one side of the board to stop water build-up and should be against the bearers to prevent rot. I'm not knocking you at all, I am commending you on your effort in regards to the well-being of your animals, just want to see you get better value for your time and money. If I lived 1000km closer to you I would gladly offer to help, but obviously I'm a bit slack and cant be asked to travel for 10hrs. The ant capping is a major issue, the decking being up-side down is not the most major of disasters.

Regards
Simon

PMSL, 12 people repleid before i got this essay out, damn finger typing!!!

PS. the boards running the wrong way is no real drama.

Roflmbao, you chippies believe what the deck manufacturers tell you? Decking only started to have the ribbed side when they discovered how to laser cut it, a product of the laser cutting is ribs whereas before laser cutting both sides were smooth. Can't you just see the meeting when they had to decide how to cover up this fact to the end users :) "Oh, yeah, well we'll just tell them it's to stop rot or water build up".

Now, on the serious matter of substrate, does anyone know where I can buy bulk Breeders Choice? I will need to put it down at least a foot deep so will be looking at a large amount and buying it in 2Kg bags will be a little expensive.

africancichlidau said:
Now, on the serious matter of substrate, does anyone know where I can buy bulk Breeders Choice? I will need to put it down at least a foot deep so will be looking at a large amount and buying it in 2Kg bags will be a little expensive.

We buy ours from Robbo's pet barn in 25liter bags. If you buy a few bags you can usually negociate on the price.

Woudn't sand be a better substrate for perenties??

so how did you put the nails in afro? by had :lol:
or did you hire a gun out in which case silly boy remember i chould of given you a paslode gas gun to loan plus nails :wink: all for free

Thanks for the thought Westy but as I used screw nails they had to be put in by hand. One thousand nine hundred and forty four of the darned things and I have the swollen thumb to prove it :)

thats so funny as paslode make thosw silly decking screw nails to go into there guns oh well phill we live and learn lol

You could have kept the edges straight Phil.....:D

The perenties will get out from under that, you will need to put some wiring around the edges and sink it into the ground at least a metre.

Huggy, nah mate, theres steel under that decking arrangement :)

Soulweaver, I thought of that but don't want to wet it cos a piece might stick to their catfood and cause impaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back