first womas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my BHP female lost the last 3/4 of an inch of her tale, due to a bad shed before i got her. (it fell off on the plane while getting shiped to me).

It seems like a very common thing in BH and womas (i have spoken to a few keepers, as well as my own experience) and not due to bad keeping (foxysnake).

Now every shed i check the last inch of tale and 99% of the time old skin is still there.

The best way i have found to remove it is a bit of 3% hydrogen peroxide and a ear cleaner, and just dab it on all around then work it back gently.

The snakes dont mind at all and actually seem relived when it comes off!!

re first

dobermanmick said:
They are great looking womas !! I know where to look when i get mine :)
Yeh i particularly like the pattern on the female that ignited the green monster,longtom has one with that pattern from allex antenor.

PilbaraPythons said:
Determining the sexes of snakes without probe.

Besides probing you can sex your snakes by visual examination of the tail area. This is a method that I prefer and fully recommend. Cheers Dave

:D Hi Dave, I am glad you did not mention the 'pendulum method' of sexing, which has scientifically been proven to be no better than a guess. :roll:

Great photos by the way.
Cheers, Judy

www. herptrader.com.au

PilbaraPythons said:
JandC-reptiles
Determining the sexes of snakes without probe.

I have found that popping on the day they hatch to be easy and reliable. The males will often pop out their hemipenes while you are holding them straight to measure their hatch size. All you need to see is some pink and a bit of a bulge and you can be pretty sure.

Excellent Dave,i've mentioned and am learning this method at the moment and i actually explained to longtom on a recent visit how you guys do it,have them probed afterwards and from memory you were close to dead spot on except a couple which can happen even when probing sometimes.I pointed out what you guys looked for and at and i guessed the animal which i had no clue as to sex beforehand,guessed it to be male and showed why and bingo it was so a few more hindred goes and all positive results i doubt i'll bother with probing again which can be just as difficult at times and there's no interference with the animal either.Don't know why but have always been against popping as it seems to require a certain pressure and could easily be stuffed up i reckon.

Pendulum i remember watching this done with birds and human babies etc and agree a bit of a wifes tale that one....when they tested me with this pendelum method"i'm guessing this is the ring on the cotton thing spinning clockwise/anticlockwise boy/girl and neither here nor there if gay"the ring spun out and mysteriously fell of the string /cotton and rolled out the door thinkingg wtf LOL I was born backside firsat already letting the world know what i thought and been a pain in one since :lol:

Browns
I have never got it wrong but I have been unsure a few times on the occasional hatchling and hence had to probe.
Tremain and I did a whole clutch of hatchling carpets once where I did the visual and he backed up with a probe and it was 100 percent. There were two in that clutch that I couldn't positively tell because of the pattern around the crucial area.
Some time later after he had shipped these reptiles all over the place there was apparently a couple wrong. I personally think though that, as all were checked with a probe the mistake was that some got mixed up as when we were doing it was bedlam with serpents trying to go in every direction. With adults it is an absolute piece of cake as you will soon find out as you perfect it.
Cheers Dave

I just recently learned the pendulum method. I am a qualified herpetologist and believe in science and facts as a rule. But I have been trying it on every animal i can get and then probing them and this has been accurate every time. I know of a few big time breeders who use this method and otu of 600 hatchlings for the season had only one sexed wrong. I would love to see the information where this method was tested? Can you help out trader?

There was two studies I came across last week that investigated the question (with birds) and concluded it was not better than a guess. I will see if I can dig them up when I am back at the office.

In the mean time here is a couple of sites that discuss the question:

http://www.whyaretheydead.net/krasel/books/evans/pioneers.html
Diviners and radiesthetists are prone to fantastic claims in support of the power of their technique, including such unlikely matters as the sexing of newlaid eggs or the determination of some one's political affiliations with only a hair from his head to go on. Needless to say, few dowsers or radiesthetists care to submit their powers to the essentially simple scientific tests which could easily verify their reality, and those that have been tested have generally been the most ghastly flops.

and

http://www.skeptics.com.au/journal/2ndcoming/divining.pdf

I don't mind designing a double blind study to investigate the issue and your sexing powers using this method. Regardless of the outcome it would be a good one to get published.

Morelia_Hunter said:
I just recently learned the pendulum method. I am a qualified herpetologist and believe in science and facts as a rule. But I have been trying it on every animal i can get and then probing them and this has been accurate every time. I know of a few big time breeders who use this method and otu of 600 hatchlings for the season had only one sexed wrong. I would love to see the information where this method was tested? Can you help out trader?

My wife had the pendulum method tried on her by a friend when she was pregnant, she was going to have a lovely little girl, she actually had lovely little twin boys. Do I have faith in a pendulum to sex snakes.................................um.............no.

i second that boa
with my wifes first some one tried the pendulum method said we were having a boy but had a nice healty girl instead , we didnt even bother with it for our second
i am wondering if the people who do that method are not picking up on slight differances they can pick out over years of experiance

i love the look of ya womas there heaps mad. the reptiles i have on the southernx reptile site are alll really goood!!!! especially blondie the albino.
cheers kahn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back