flighty around meal time

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigben

Reaction score
hey guys,

i have an albino darwin carpet who is a year and a half old now but i have only had him for about 4 months.
He is usually very active within a few days of a meal however i was cleaning out his enclosure a couple of days ago which was almost 2 weeks since his last meal (i feed him fortnightly) he for the first time bit himself then tried biting me 5 or 6 times, i should also mention that he is due to shed in about a week.
Do many of you experience similar behavior when your snakes are hungry? i thought it might be because his coming in to shed but every time he see's me he his tongue is going a million miles an hour because he is looking for a meal.
Otherwise he is a very calm and easy to handle snake. Maybe he is just more hungry than normal and i wont feed till he sheds so should be interesting.
I should also mention that the temps are good and i feed him a 150-160g rat a fortnight.

Cheers

I'd say he's still hungry, feed him more regularly or bump up his meal size.

Plus being as he was due to shed, he wouldn't be able to see too well, so was possibly biting at anything that moved. LOL

sometimes, because of snakes having typical limited vision and relying on smell or in your pythons case also her heat pits. they could associate you with food, my stimsoni does it when i go in his cage but then i just rub his mid body and\or touch him on the nose as he comes towards my hand. him also being due for a feed i wouldn't be suprised if he associated you with food.

he may just be even cage defensive, which is common in snakes.

cheers, bohdi.

It's also that time of year when snakes turn into little piggies slamming down the food in preparation for winter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back