Flourescent lights

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaun

Reaction score
Hi guys
I have asked around about the flouescent light for the snakes and some said that I don't need one for a spotted python but others said i need one. what should I do buy one or not? Any advise will be good!!

Shaun

A flouro is good for replicating day/might cycle which I reckon helps keep snakes eating regularly. Also it displays your snake heaps better. Bunnings have flouros starting from 20 bucks, so why not?

One breeder told me to remember A for Activity, B for Bones, but this is heresay.
I'm sure someone will have better information for you.

I think natural sunlight is best so I haven't looked into the fluoros to find out the UVA vs UVB stuff for myself.
I also have only red lights for night viewing. My enclosures are in a room with floor to ceiling windows so I don't bother simulating daylight, as they see the real thing, but I agree with Greebs. I would use a fluoro to simulate day night cycle if my snakes were in a room without windows.

a room with floor to ceiling windows

Cor, wish I lived opposite :) Hehehe, sorry Niccy babe :)

My enclosures are in a room with one little window which is covered with polystyrene, ( a left over from the fish days), so I have fluoros in 5 of the enclosures and one on the fish tank, the room itself I have fitted with a double fluoro so with all these on all enclosures get enough light. The only enclosure I have a UVB tube fitted to is the Shingleback enclosure.

I have a window which isn't big. Wil 5.0 be alright for the snake? On that particular fluoro it said: 30% UVA and 5% UVB if you guys neede to know!!

half an hour in natural sunlight is worth 24 hours under a fluoro and you have to get it real close for the snake to get ANY benefit from it.

UVA increases appetite and activity in reptiles.
UVB helps to prevent metabolic bone growth disease in reptiles.

UVA = Remember A for Appetite & Activity
UVB = Remember B for Bone growth

UVA promotes aging and tanning by penetrating the deeper layers of skin in humans.
UVB however only reaches the top layer of skin creating sunburn in humans.

UVA = Remember A for Aging
UVB = Remember B for Burning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back