Found my lost python after 8 weeks!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdixie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Around 8 weeks ago, my brother in law was house sitting for me, and left the pythons door open after feeding him, and he escaped. So several weeks later, we gave up searching for him, and purchased a new one. Since then, we moved house last weekend, and my cat found him yesterday behind the entertainment unit at the new house, unfortunately the cat had a bit of a chew on him, so he had a few puncture wounds on him. I rushed him straight to the vet and they x-rayed him, and cleared him of any lung or spinal injuries, and have placed him on anti-biotics.

Now, the thing im concerned about is, he obviously would not have eaten in those 8 weeks, and I attempted to feed him lastnight, but he was not interested at all. Will he eat when he's ready ? or should I attempt to force feed him ?

Btw, he is a Jungle Python, and is approximately 4-5 months old.

Also, is it ok to place two male Jungle pythons of the same age together in the cage? Obviously, this will only be temporary untill I can purchase a new cage.

Don't have any advice (sorry!) but I am very glad you found him!

Its size that matters. And I would avoid it at all costs! if he has been ou for 8 weeks he could have picked up anything. Thro him in a pillow case and tie that neck up tight with a piece of string. Put him somehere not too cold and go to bunnings and get a tank of suitable size and a desk lamp for heat as a temp solution. Just chuck some cardboarsd hides in there and some water.

He has probably been through a lot with the cat and the cold so no wonder he is not hungry! I would give him a quiet week to 10 days to recover and then try again. Let us now how he goes

He is probably not interested in feeding because he was just chewed on by the CAT! ;) Let him settle in again and he should be fine - could also be an issue of him cooling as he hasn't had a heat mat etc for 8weeks so may be off his food...

I would not recommend keeping them together as you have the risk of one being eaten by the other...in saying that though some people do house multiple snakes together...I would place him in a click-clack until you can get a second enclosure...

He will eat when he's ready. Once his wounds start to heal and he warms up again, and settles in a new place he'll be right. He has had a big adventure. How lucky were to find him in your new place. Lucky for the ppl who bought your old place that he wasn't still there...lol

thats cool, i cant believe you 'accidentally' moved him!!
and then found him again! :)

hope he recovers from being chewed on ok, maybe when hes bigger he'll take revenge and chew on ur cat. :)

He may have eaten in those 8 weeks, you can;t really say for sure

keep them separate in click clacks until you have a proper enclosure for both of them. snakes will eat when they are ready. he is probably a little stressed and in need of some settling in time.

i am glad you found the little guy and hope he recovers. He must have found a nice hotspot behind the tv or inside it and travelled to the new house unseen in the move. I hate cats but in this case you better give it a treat for finding your little jungle

don't keep them together if u can help it

thats awesome that you found him before the cat finished him off... just wait till hes full grown then put him against the cat! i hate cats...lol

congrats on finding your little jungle. i would of give the cat a little pat for his effort. first time i've heard of a cat being useful, even though he took a chunk out of your snake.

Thats great that you have found your snake, but you are hardly out of the woods yet.
Reptiles that are attacked by cats even if minor can die long and painfull deaths due to infection even when being treated by antibiotics.
I would keep him warm and dont stress him by trying to feed.

Donk

It's great that you found the snake- and that the little fella even moved house with you!
I'm glad the cat didnt do much damage.

I wouldnt be surprised if he has had a feed in the wild, the Asian House Gecko population in your old house might be a little depleted ;) I'm sure he'll feed again when he's ready.

great news finding him hope all gos well all the best

Thanks for all the replys!

Just to give you an update. He seems to be doing very well, spends most of his time on the heat rock, and ventures out occasionally up to higher ground. Im just glad he seems to be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back