free food!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daryl_H

Reaction score
Hello guys and girls!
I have come across a new idea
the indian myia action plan...
in this research i have found a trap that catches indian myia and not native birds as theses birds kill native birds and are not native i thought if more people here about this they could make use of these birds rather than just killing and putting them in the bin.
this is legal and was wondering peoples opinion of freezing these birds for some time(to kill any desease and worms ect)
then useing them as reptile food>>? might help the auzzie bush while helping your wallet.

Anyone intersted in this idea should google (myia action plan) for how to make this trap:shock:

Last edited:
I think there are a few members who do this already. From memory, you should should freeze for 6 weeks to kill all potential parasites but I remember also being told that since birds are endotherms, their parasites will not survive in a reptile. I know someone who feeds freshly killed Mynas to his pythons and he has not had any problems to date.

I think there are a few members who do this already. From memory, you should should freeze for 6 weeks to kill all potential parasites but I remember also being told that since birds are endotherms, their parasites will not survive in a reptile. I know someone who feeds freshly killed Mynas to his pythons and he has not had any problems to date.
thanks anouc the more people that hear about/read this the better auz will be

thor1 just google it there are heaps of pages

thanks evil
if some people that read this could reply to this thread to keep it going, it will benifit the auzzie bush. any reply welcome even just a bump or +1 will help;);)

Daryl_H,
Great idea to help spread the word and get people involved.
I had a look at the trap drawings...is it just me or are there pages missing, (ie have pages 1 to 6, but when looking at them the last page is numbered 11), so it looks like some instructions are missing...otherwise I might have a go.

I dont believe trapping them is going to solve the problem, they are well established and i dont see them ever being eradicated but in saying that its a great idea and couple possibly cause significant local population reductions if enough people got in on it. Plus free food for your herps and monitors, gotta love that

mdstim
feel free to google it there are a few diff sites out there

great idea, but questions i have would be- 1. how do i kill the myna once i have caught it. 2. can you just freeze them for 6 weeks then take them out and give them to your snakes. 3. would they have the same nutritional value as a rat. I figure so, but thought i would ask. But the idea of saving $10 a rat a fortnight seems good.

Anything once engrained, never gets eradicated, but like you say, local populations could certainly be severely dented.

In answer to your questions chase:
1 - CO2 or the spinal dislocation methods, same as rats and stuff that we do here.
2 - Yeap
3 - Wouldnt be the exact same, but would be similar to other poultry. I would think that these bad boys would have far less fat than a adult rad would and still provide the same amount of other nutrients. I would compare to similar size chickens or quail etc for a rough estimate on what your getting. I cuoldnt see it being bad for it though.

There are a number of sites with the plans. I think its the PeeGee type cage. Looks easy to build and could be very effective for a number of species.

I personally love this idea. Save money and help rid of a pest.
Cheers for the heads up

i might be able to do somethng jay. i do live 40 mins from brighton;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back