Frill neck lizards info!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjb.2010

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am thinking of getting possibly 1 or 2 Frilled Necked Lizards. just a couple things i want to know before i get them.
how old are they when they start breeding?
how can you sex them when there older?
how many eggs do they have?
what size enclosure for fully grown adults, i will keep the tank the same until their adults because i read they don't like things being changed in the enclosures.
also any other info use have.
care sheets would be useful as well
thanks to anyone that can help me

For there enclosure size, think the bigger the better! Just go all out & use what space you have available. I find you'll never really enjoy an animal if it is kept in a small enclosure, nor will they display there natural behaviors that we all love to see. For adult frilly's I'd suggest an enclosure size of 1.5m height , width 1.8m, depth 0.6m.

yeah that enclosure sounds just right for the space i have at the moment.

I'm getting made an enclosure about that size for my Boyds, 1.4mx1.8mx0.6m. Considered building alot taller but in the end I don't think its necessary unless you have the right temps in your area, otherwise for me it would be too hard to heat & maintain anything larger. But if you can do it go nuts! Post pics if you end up doing it and getting some would love to see them. I keep my little frilly in a 0.9mx0.9mx0.6m but will end up building a much larger enclosure when he's abit older.

For heating I use a 50w GU-10 & UV 10.0 fluro near the basking site. Night heating I use a 60W ceramic on a on/off thermostat.

Sexing I can't help you with but its from what I've read after 12months of age they can easily be sex by there size (sexual dimorphism).

Last edited:
Your better of not getting a pair as i see your intending on breeding them, you most likely wont get a M+F pair, and you'll probley have trubbles houseing them both together even as hatchling's,
And yes frilled neck lizards temd to 'sulk' if u change where they live, I had brought an adult female QLD awile back change of enclosure caused it to pretty much stare into space allday long but put the time into them and they get on the rite track in no time,
All my adult frilled neck enclosures are 1.2 high-1.2long-.6depth they are also raised .6 of the ground and alltho they are on the small size i havent had a problem but as Mr.boyd said the heigher the better as they love to climb, all mine live seperate from each outher also,
Great species to keep tho i rely like them,

Shane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back