Frilled Neck and mealworms

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macaisme

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have had my frill for a 11 days now and i got told from the local petshop three days ago, That mealworms are all good as long as you crush the head, well all has been well, till it had a feed of these instead of the crickets. It has not eaten for two days since. only drinking from a dropper. I just read in a care sheet from another pet shop DO NOT FEED MEALWORMS to Juvenile Dragons as it causes back up problems as they cant digest the husk of these worms. Is this is true? what can i do to help with this problem.

My Brothers Mexican Walking fish died, due to being only fed mealworms. It was feeding on mealworms for over 6 months tho. A Frilly should be a bit tougher so Id leave him be for a few days and them try it on crickets again.
If no improvement take to vet.

Ive been told that if you feed adult meal worms to a juvie dragon it can lay eggs inside the dragons stomach and can hatch to cause problems to the dragon from what ive been told. i dont know if its true or not.

mealworms cannot lay eggs lol i love these crazy myths that go around

Its Been on crickets shacken up in calcium, i put about 10 medium sized dead mealworms down it ate the lot in abot 5 sec. more woried about compaction after what i read, heres hoping that its a myth. would a vet actually be able to do anything to a lizard so small? Just a bit scary dont want to loose him on the first frill i get!

mealworms dont lay eggs inside the dragon (they have to morph into beetles and have sex before they can lay eggs) they wont eat their way out of their tummy so crushing heads isnt necessary, but as a precaution i make sure my dragons are warm when eating these so their digestive juices are working.

but the chitin shell IS too hard for young dragons to digest and will impact them and/or tear their fragile intestinal tract.

if you think ur dragon is impacted give it warm baths and soft foods and fluids till it passes the blockage, letting them swim in the bath and sit/sleep on heated wheat bags also helps (make sure the heat bag isnt too hot tho and wrap it in a towel so its not so direct)

It just sound like a backlog of M/W husks. If your frilly doesn't pass the blockage in a day or 2 by himself. Find a good herp vet and take him. It may sound funny, but the vet might just give him a tiny amount of laxative with an eye dropper.

It just sound like a backlog of M/W husks. If your frilly doesn't pass the blockage in a day or 2 by himself. Find a good herp vet and take him. It may sound funny, but the vet might just give him a tiny amount of laxative with an eye dropper.

or an enema,.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back