? from Newbie - age of first python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajwill

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm taking a really long time buying my first python. I've had chunks of second-hand experience with snakes over the years and have seen several hatchies die because supposedly 'experienced' owners overhandled and stressed them to death. I really don't want to kill my first snake.

I've been reading these forums for ages but have never seen it discussed - is it better for a newbie to start with an older snake? Better to learn with a slightly older and hence more resiliant reptile?

A juvenile or yearling snake might be the best option, because they are past that 'fragile' stage and you can still watch them grow up.

if youre aware that over handling is stressful u probably wont do it.

so get what u like, just make sure its feeding well when u get it. :)

my first snake was only 2 months old (i had NO previous experience) and he wasnt a problem at all.

As long as its feeding without any dramas,when you buy from a breeder they should have a feeding and shedding card,if you do buy one ask for it.The first couple things to remember when you get it home,leave it alone for a week or two,let it get used to its new enviroment,you dont have to worry about Quarantine as its your first.best of luck with your purchase.Keep us informed when you buy one.

Thanks guys, it is as I suspected. I'm probably looking at buying in the new year ... and am joining the local herp society first.

Knowledge is power and i think you will be fine.As mentioned leave it to settle into its new surroundings for a week or 2,offer it a feed and if all goes well then slowly start to handle it dont rush into it and have it out for hours at a time everyday or constantly moving its hides to show friends and you will be fine

I bought Snakey when he was around 6-7mths and everything was fine. He came from a reputable breeder and had feeding records. He started off nervous but after two-three weeks, he grew bolder and more placid as time went on. Now he is a very placid and hardy little python.

Knowledge is power ... dont rush into it and have it out for hours at a time everyday or constantly moving its hides to show friends and you will be fine

Troyster, this is something people do all the time, isn't it?

A guy I know got bitten yesterday by his 9 month old Diamond - he's been handling it since the day he bought it home and now it lunges at him every time he puts his hand in the tank.

Troyster, this is something people do all the time, isn't it?

A guy I know got bitten yesterday by his 9 month old Diamond - he's been handling it since the day he bought it home and now it lunges at him every time he puts his hand in the tank.

I dont think its that good of an idea to constantly be pulling the snake out whether its just for a play or to show mates.

Over handling will stress the snake out, that is a response from the snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back