Fussy snake - braining pinkie rat, or dip in egg yolk?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kawasakirider

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, it's been a few days since I put Nagini in her click clack covered with a pillow case so she can't see the outside world. I'm going to attempt to give her another feed tonight.

She seems fussy, so should I brain the rat, or dip it in yolk?

Should I just place the rat in there with her and cover everything back up, or should I try and get her attention by moving it around?

She's on aspen, so should I put the rat on top of a piece of paper to avoid getting bits of aspen stuck to it and prevent it from ending up down her throat?

Thanks in advance,

Trent

Not sure about the aspen cause I don't use it but definitely try braining it and leaving it overnight first

OK, so just brain it, and leave it. Don't try and get her to attack it by pretending it's alive?

Yeah try touching the top of her "nose" with it but if she doesn't grab it just leave it in there. Were they on rats or mice with the breeder? You could also try mice

Try tapping the snake just behind the head with the pinkie this will normally get them to try and attack the rat

It's just that I've tried this a fair amount of times and the more I do it, the more timid she gets. I think she's scared. So I'm not sure to approach it like that, or to just leave it there, brained.

Anyone have any insight on the aspen?

I keep my hatchies on paper towel, so no insights. I'd feed on a piece of paper or plastic - especially if you try braining or egg. It gets very sticky. Put in the plastic and unlatch the container a while before introducing the food item so she isn't upset by everything at once. I'm still sneaking around trying to get two fussy ones to start feeding and it's a major pain in the backside. Low lighting is important, too. Good luck!

I don't get what you mean by "put in the plastic and unlatch the container a while before introducing the food item". I was planning on putting the rat in straight away and doing the click clack back up and leaving her be. Thanks for the tip on the low light, I'll turn the light off when I do it :D

Its always best trying to feed them in the late evening as its when they would be hunting. Once they are established you can feed them anytime of the day, but it definitely helps to feed in the evening to start with.

Now is ok then :) I'm defrosting a pinkie as I type this.

I just brained the pinky and waved it infront of her face, she didn't seem keen so I placed it on a piece of paper infront of the hide and she took off straight into the hide, past the rat without a second look :(

Last edited:
I had a fussy jungle as my first snake. What finally worked is she went into her hide as i was offering and i just put the mouse in there with her, checked 10 mins later and no mouse :)

Be careful with that fear response. I've adopted a little snake a while ago that was 3+ years old and afraid of rodents to the point of being force fed its every meal. Taken around 12 months to get it from voluntarily taking quail onto rodents.

I didn't read your other thread but I recommend giving it a week or so break (given that it has enough condition) then trying a quail again.

Why are you still pestering this snake!
You started another thred on this animal and it not feeding asking what to do!

It was clearly explained to you by a few that have quite a lot of experience
in breeding and getting jungles to feed what to do to achieve this and yet you have ignored this advice and kept harrasing this snake.

I suggest you go back and refresh your memory as to what you where told to do and follow this advise other wise you are putting this snakes very existance in jepardy!

Honestly dude, you talk about idiots having children, since your earlier post about this snake not eating you've posted pictures of you 'playing' with them, you've stated your not willing to spend more money on them and now you are back asking why she wont eat. Do you actually listen to the advise given or do you just like the sound of your own fingers hitting the keyboard. I know I may sound harsh but your posts are frustrating to say the least.

How often are you attempting to feed this snake?

Once a week.

Honestly dude, you talk about idiots having children, since your earlier post about this snake not eating you've posted pictures of you 'playing' with them, you've stated your not willing to spend more money on them and now you are back asking why she wont eat. Do you actually listen to the advise given or do you just like the sound of your own fingers hitting the keybo
ard. I know I may sound harsh but your posts are frustrating to say the least.

Things are lost in translation through text. I've taken everything on board and she is in her own tub and she's been untouched for a few days. I haven't handled her for over a week.

I'm not posting here anymore. Thanks to the people who have tried to help me. To the others that think I am handling the snake every day and abusing it, well you're entitled to make up fantasies about me so you can be condescending and berate me, hope it makes you feel wise.

Also, the pictures are from when I first got her, the only recent ones are with the male, who is a good feeder and he's in the terrarium by himself. Yes the pics were posted since I was voicing my troubles here, but they weren't taken recently.

Last edited:
Once a week.

Things are lost in translation through text. I've taken everything on board and she is in her own tub and she's been untouched for a few days. I haven't handled her for over a week.

I'm not posting here anymore. Thanks to the people who have tried to help me. To the others that think I am handling the snake every day and abusing it, well you're entitled to make up fantasies about me so you can be condescending and berate me, hope it makes you feel wise.

Also, the pictures are from when I first got her, the only recent ones are with the male, who is a good feeder and he's in the terrarium by himself. Yes the pics were posted since I was voicing my troubles here, but they weren't taken recently.

Ok fair enough but it doesn't look that way, and yes things do get lost in translation when texting so you can see how people trying to help get frustrated by it all.

Well the only time she has been touched since last Saturday was the other day when I moved her into her new click clack. The other one wasn't suitable. The pics are from when I first got her.

"it doesn't look that way"

I understand that I make a lot of posts, but I am worried about her. Doesn't mean I am taking her out all the time.

lol @ keyboard warriors. Oh how much less interesting this site would be without you.
How did you go braining the pinky? I hear it's messy work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back