Fussy snake - braining pinkie rat, or dip in egg yolk?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I may not have done it right then, I punctured the head with a Stanley knife and squeezed a little bit of fluid out, not enough for it to be messy though, just a drizzle. Is it meant to cover the rat or something?

As long as some comes out it should be enough to get the smell going. I've never had to do it though so I just pictured it being messier haha

Oh ok no dramas lol. I'll let you guys know how it went in the morning. It's sitting just inside the entrance to her hide so she can't ignore it really lol.

Just had a peak under the pillow case... It's still there :(

Last edited:
For a hatcheie, moving to a new home is stressfull enough. If you've moved her to a new click clack leave her for about a week. Don't stress too much, my coastal didn't eat for almost a month and a half after i brought her home.

lol @ keyboard warriors. Oh how much less interesting this site would be without you.
How did you go braining the pinky? I hear it's messy work

Some of us "key board worriors"as you put have actually dealt with these sorts of troublesome snakes, This is why we commented on the very first thred made about this little snake and offered very sound advise, To no avail !

ugh i had a little Mr Fussy once He refused to swap Mice for Rats! He did not eat for over 2 months but hes still fine and alive. Took a lot of patience and lots of chewed fingernails!!!! In the end for me was first leave it alone stop handling. Then waited until about 1 am in the morning when the snake naturally came out for a wonder then i put it in a feeding container with the rat and left it. Had to do this 3 times and on go 3 the rat was gone. If it was after 1am and i woke up early i dont think it had any harm leaving the rat with it for a few hours (yes it was dead) and i just disposed of it and waited till the snake came back out after midnight a few days later. I think waiting for the snake to come out on its own accord helped here. I tried braining with no help and i tried Mouse brain rubbed on Rat to.

I made sure it ate in the click clack at least 5 times and now it eats out of my hand off the back of a chair everytime and hes growing again :) But jeez i was so worried for ages i tried everything and was scared id have to get an expert in to go down the force feeding track.

This was a 6 month old bredli not a hatchling and he was already a gun feeder on Mice he just didnt like rats. I recon patience and a less hands on approach is sometimes good. Thats just my case im sure everyones is different. I hope she eats soon i know how stressfull it is!!!

Does she have a hide? If not I'd surely add one. A little rodent dance never hurts. Good luck!

A few important things with Hatchies is they need to be left alone until there feeding on a regurlar basis.STRESS is the main one,considering its a new snake Leave ALONE for a week or two with little to none disturbance,change water etc but thats it.After that time try a nice warm mouse-rat after dark.If that fails try again in a week.Remember NO HANDLING..DONT STRESS it out anymore then it is already.

OK I'll keep doing this. If it continues to fail, is it possible to get a live pinky?

Well the rat wasn't taken, so I went to take it out (because I was told it can't be in there for more than 24 hours) and she suddenly became interested when I picked it up, so I held it still, she got into the S shape and decided she'd bite me twice, I dunno if it was bad aim or not, but she wasn't keen after that for me or the rat.

This is the most frustrating experience I've had for a long time.

I wouldn't leave them in for more than 8hrs max they start to degrade really quickly. If it was the eat it after that long you would risk making it sick.

I posted this the other day in another thread but, you can try these:

Get a little plastic Chinese food container. Put the snake in that with the fuzzy and put the lid on put it back in the enclosure. They will sometimes eat it as it's the only thing in the container. Have you tried braining the fuzzy (not live) that works sometimes as it has more of a scent. You can also wash the fuzzy to reduce the scent it also works for some reason. You can try scenting with chicken feathers or some fish. Make sure the fuzzy is about 38C. Try feeding at night.

Hope these help.

The biggest thing is to try and limit the stress on the snake.

try both i use the egg all i do is scramble the egg and put it in the microwave for about 10-15 mins then dunk the rat /mouse in the egg the feed it to the snake with long tweezers/forceps just wiggle the rat in front of it for about 20-40 seconds if it dosent eat it leave it on a small tray in a click clack with just a flat piece of news paper and the snake if it dosent eat in about 30 min im out of options you could also you both at the same time dunk in egg and brain it

I posted this the other day in another thread but, you can try these:

Get a little plastic Chinese food container. Put the snake in that with the fuzzy and put the lid on put it back in the enclosure. They will sometimes eat it as it's the only thing in the container. Have you tried braining the fuzzy (not live) that works sometimes as it has more of a scent. You can also wash the fuzzy to reduce the scent it also works for some reason. You can try scenting with chicken feathers or some fish. Make sure the fuzzy is about 38C. Try feeding at night.

Hope these help.

The biggest thing is to try and limit the stress on the snake.

Done all of this mate, thanks for the help. Not working though .... :(

Well you tell me... I don't touch her, she's in a small, warm and dark spot and I offer her food on a weekly basis. I have followed the advice.

try both i use the egg all i do is scramble the egg and put it in the microwave for about 10-15 mins then dunk the rat /mouse in the egg the feed it to the snake with long tweezers/forceps just wiggle the rat in front of it for about 20-40 seconds if it dosent eat it leave it on a small tray in a click clack with just a flat piece of news paper and the snake if it dosent eat in about 30 min im out of options you could also you both at the same time dunk in egg and brain it

man that egg would be hot after 15 mins in the micro wave ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back