Gecko eggs sticking when layed.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grunter023

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is one for all the gecko breeders! I recently had my first Asper Gecko lay what looked like her first fertile clutch. The lay site was a butter container with sand/vermiculite mix, which was fine. But the problem was the eggs were stuck firmly to the bottom of the butter container. When I tried to peel one of the eggs from the bottom it squished and the contents of the egg broke open and went everyone, so that left me with one egg :( Anyway I then proceeded to cut the bottom out of the empty butter container and transfer the remaining egg attached to the plastic straight into the perlite and into the incubator. Will this egg still hatch no worries and how should I go about this problem if it happens again in the future?

It will be ok, and as it expands it may even come off on its own.
If it happens again personally I wouldn't risk breaking them and just cut the container, the bit of plastic will help keep them the right way up anyway lol.

Good luck!!!!

Yes I figured that would be the best way about it. Just wondered what experiences others had been through. It felt like such a waste putting the female through all that and then me squishing one of her potential youngin's. Cheers

I think cutting the container is the safest way. Last clutch of Amyae i used a piece of cotton to slowly prise them off the bottom. It took a little layer off the eggs but eggs still in tact.
At the moment i have 2 lay boxes in with baking paper lining the bottom so i will see shortly how that goes.

Hey grunter! Last season 1 of my wheeleri girls laid 2x eggs to close together and ended up joining them. Went through normal incubation easy enough but when came time to hatch I had to help 1 of them out and I was expecting the other to hatch shortly after. The other egg started to sweat and eventually I opened it a couple of days later to find the fully formed little fella inside dead. Now I have no idea if it was just coincidence as all my other 14 wheeleri eggs hatched fine but just maybe keep an eye on it exspecially around hatching time.

Baking paper works a treat ;) No sticking and if it did would be a lot easier to cut around, had the same issue with my first Levis eggs stuck to bottom of breeding box. I was also informed the sistema clip it containers don;t have eggs sticking I have now gone to those. Good luck on future clutches ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back