Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking on putting a trio of some sort of gecko in my empty 31x20x24inch enclosure, I have red sand, hides etc etc but no spare heatmat, I have 2 spare basking bulbs (50watt and a 100watt) would I be able to use that as a heat source insted of the heatmat? I was looking into thick tails, would thick tails be ok if I used the basking bulb for a heat source rather then a heatmat? If not, what would be a good starter gecko that I can use a basking bulb for? (would prefer if the gecko isn't over $200 I'm looking for something as cheap as $50 as high as $150 or so)

I just use an infrared heat lamp in with my geckos and they are doing fine.
Ok thanks. What species do you keep? are you using a thermostat with it?

I have 3 thick tailed geckos (underwoodisaurus milii).

I don't use a thermostat but I do have a thermometer in the tank which I keep a close eye on.

I have 3 thick tailed geckos (underwoodisaurus milii).

I don't use a thermostat but I do have a thermometer in the tank which I keep a close eye on.
Alright thanks, silly me I asked when it was in your signature :rolleyes:. I just need to find some for sale now :D

are they basking globes or infra red heat ones that you have dave?
because baking ones will usually make one spot in the enclosure extremely hot and the rest would probably get to 30*C in that size enclosure.
how ever because geckos just need the hot end (at 30-32*C and the cool usually 25*C-ish) a basking globe isnt really ideal and in the long run would probably end up costing more on electricity because you wouldn't need as many watts with a heat mat/cord than a basking globe.

thicktails you would easily be able to get for $90 each.
depends on what people are willing to spend
geckos range in price from $20 to $1000 each.

just wack a heat cord under the enclosure, that will do the trick and put it onto the temperature the species is ment to have, if its a strophurus add a UV light as they need UV. you can use a basking bulb, get a red or a blue so you can leave it on at night meaning you will be able to see your geckos active

thick tails and knob tails are probably the best starter geckos

thicktails you would easily be able to get for $90 each.
depends on what people are willing to spend
geckos range in price from $20 to $1000 each.

Mine are 18 months old, so not sure if i paid more for them for being older.

I'm thinking too, that when there are more around the price would drop.

There basking (white) I was using for my bearded. I have a red globe too. What are the ones that cost $20-50? 90each isn't to bad , but I would prefer a gecko in the range of 50dollars each or so.

as for best starters i think any oedura is easy too look after.
n. levis and its sub speicies
thicktails are good too

and jewly yeah you probably did pay more because they were 18months and old enough to breed.

There basking (white) I was using for my bearded. I have a red globe too. What are the ones that cost $20-50? 90each isn't to bad , but I would prefer a gecko in the range of 50dollars each or so.

you would not be able to use the white basking light all day and night because they need no light (or red or blue is fine) at night.

in the $20-50 range you would have geckos like marbled, lesueur's velvet geckos. im not too sure on the pricing of some gex but i think that might be it in that price range. maybe 1 or 2 more.

you would not be able to use the white basking light all day and night because they need no light (or red or blue is fine) at night.

in the $20-50 range you would have geckos like marbled, lesueur's velvet geckos. im not too sure on the pricing of some gex but i think that might be it in that price range. maybe 1 or 2 more.
Alright thanks. I might just get a heatmat, I'll have a look at those species, as I don't want to spend alot on a gecko, its more of just a pet gecko's so don't want nothing super fancy.

the only Oedura Lesueurii for around that would be off license, they are rarely that cheap. as shonfield said, marbleds are $20 to $50, and from what I have heard, they are a great starter gecko. I have only kept Phyllurus Platurus, Oedura Tryoni, Gehyra Dubia and Nephrurus Husbandii - they all are easy to keep and cheap reptiles

Ryan

the only Oedura Lesueurii for around that would be off license, they are rarely that cheap. as shonfield said, marbleds are $20 to $50, and from what I have heard, they are a great starter gecko. I have only kept Phyllurus Platurus, Oedura Tryoni, Gehyra Dubia and Nephrurus Husbandii - they all are easy to keep and cheap reptiles

Ryan
wow Phyllurus Platurus and Gehyra Dubia are very nice, probably out of my price range and need other things though, marbled are nice but can a trio be in a 31x20x24 enclosure? an american size says 1 adult can be in a 20gallon?

i use a mini dichroic (12v) on a b1 thermostat (dimming), so far so good.

20 gallon = 75 litres
31x20x24 = 232(ish) litres
feel free to correct me if that is wrong, always forget the right gallons-litres conversion heh.

basically you can keep a trio of marbleds in your enclosure easily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back