Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles101

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was thinking of getting a snake. But I don't know what is a good first snake?

Just a few questions that's all.

whats a good first snake to get?
how many times would I feed it? and what do I feed it?
what type of enclosure?
Heat and lighting requirements.
and stuff like that.

Thanks

The best first snake to get in my opinion is a Spotted or Stimsons python because they don't need heaps of space, most are great handlers, don't get too big, all you need is 2 hides (1 for cold side and 1 for the warm) a water bowl and a heat mat. All you need to feed them is a rat once a week and the snake will be happy. I give all my snake a little spray before they shed so it helps with getting a clean shed. Hope I helped :)

Thanks great info, think a spotty might be the go. What about heating, what temp?

Well first off if you search advanced here I can guarantee you will find all those answers and another tip, get a good book. It's worth spending $50 bucks on some decent info.

to briefly answer your Q's
good first snake:
- any of the antaresia, small, good handlers.
- woma, bit bigger generally around the 1.5 mark but it varies with the locales, great feeders (sometimes a bit too good but that's better than a bad feeder), nice temperament pretty IMO
- MUrray darling carpet python, slightly bigger than a woma (about 2m sometimes more), great handlers, good feeders generally, pretty IMO not unmanageable size IMO.
- I also think roughies are a good first snake, they have a great temperament, similar size to a woma but with a much bigger head and huge eyes.

I speak as a general stereotypical view on the species however each snake is individual and it cannot be guaranteed that a snake will behave exactly in this manner. Each snake varies and that's what makes them special and individual like us. And there is really no best first snake IMO some scrubbies might be complete sooks although I'm yet to meet one.

Feeding - as a hatchie, usually about once every 5-7 days however it depends what you're feeding. The bigger the food item the less often feeding will be necessary.
gradually increase food size to what you think appropriate for the size of the snake. When the snake gets older, feeding will be less regular as the snake isn't growing quite as much so it will be about once a fortnight or if bigger meals are fed every 3 weeks. There is however no exact amount of time. They will just grow quicker or faster depending on what MD how often you feed. But don't power feed.

Enclosure - generally for snakes, timber is recommended as it retains heat better than glass. Melamine would be the most common material as it's clean looking and cheap however if you buy one from a pet shop it's usually a ripoff. Better to make one yourself or get one off someone who makes them etc etc. glass sliding doors, vents etc etc. size of enclosure depends on the snake. When the snake is a baby use a click clack which is simply a plastic tub. Down waste money on a proper enclosure that the snake will grow out of soon. In the DIY section I think there is a great thread for click clacks. Antaresia can usually be kept in a 3ft long enclosure, womas will do fine in a 4ft unless you get a Sa woma which are bigger and then I'd recommend something a bit bigger. Find out if the snake you want is terrestrial or arboreal as this will be a factor in choosing the enclosure. Arboreal want more height but still some length and terrestrial really don't need much height at all. There are a bunch of threads and care sheets regarding snake species which will give you dimensions for enclosures for the snake you want.

Heating and lighting is often a personal preference. Some like globes others like radiators or heat emitters. Terrestrial snakes generally only need a heat cord or mat as they want more heat from the ground. Arboreal snakes might be better with globes or other overhead heating unless you put a shelf in with a heatcord on or something so they have a higher basking spot. You need a cool and warm end which are pretty standard temps for most species. Warm end low 30's cool end med/high 20's and generally a basking spot of 34ish but most snakes are forgiving and won't mind a few degrees fluctuation. Other keepers will stated different temps which are good too. If you decide you want a diamond however, try keep the temps slightly cooler than average snakes as they are more sensitive and prefer cooler temps.

other than that, just make sure it's shedding well, give it sometime in the sun outside SUPERVISED. Feed defrosted rodents or poultry whatever. Don't do it cheap. Invest the money as it will bring much more satisfaction. Get a good thermostat and thermometer/s, fresh water, clean cage every so often and spot clean regularly. Blah blah blah. It sounds complicated but it all falls into place and everyone here wants the best for you and your snake so we're all willing to help!
i said it would be brief didn't I? Haha oh well.
Most importantly do your research as it will result in years of enjoyment! Use multiple sources, talk to breeders etc etc.

hope this helped and enjoy your snake! Oh and pics are a must and make e enclosure nice tehe!

i forgot you need appropriately sized hides one on either end.
oh someone said this already ooops!

Thanks bananapeel, your information has been very very helpful.When I get him/her will put some pics up. :)

No problem! And please do! Oh and not in anyway saying you will do this but please use the info I gave you as a general guideline. Then go into further more detailed research and once you decide on the snake you want, do a bit of extra research for info regarding that species even though most are kept quite similarly.
Enjoy!

Of cause I will.
Thanks. Do you own a snake/s?

Last edited:
What size snake do you want? If you want small a stimson would be great(wheatbelt stimsons are awesome).a medium sized snake would be a woma. I have 2 (soon to be three) they smash their food but are quite after food time. Woma's are food orientated which means if they're hungry they will eat. If you want a medium-big snake go with a bredli, I think they are very calm but they do grow to 3m. keep in mind it's not what we think it is what you think is good, if you don't like the look/temperament or whatsoever of the snakes we have suggested, you don't have to buy it.

I'm not sure about the stimsons enclosure (mine is in a click clack for the next couple of weeks to put some size on her head) if they are burrowing or climbing snakes. Woma's are burrowing snakes and bredli's are climbing snakes.

as Bananapeel said, buy a good book for $50. I would suggest keeping and breeding australian pythons by mike swan, it does go more in depth about breeding but it also has a bit on the basics of each species of snakes.

keep handling regularly if you want it not to bite as well lol, I have heard they can get snappy if you dont handle hahaha.

Oh and I keep 1 jungle, 1 bredli, 1 georgetown stimson, 1 (soon to be 2) tanami woma, 1 uluru woma.

:D oh and remember to have fun whilst handling. another thing with the enclosure you could make it interesting for the snake you choose is when you are cleaning the enclosure, move all the branches around.

:D

Of cause I will, it's the best info so far.
Thanks. Do you own a snake/s?

I have a MD carpet python atm however I have had a lot of experience with them, many natives but mostly exotics as I lived overseas for 5 yrs however have only managed to convince my parents to actually let me get one of my own as we are back in aus now so I can.

Wow thanks guys, I've Learnt so so much.
This is going to be great and easy now getting a snake.
thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back