giant mythical lizard

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mckellar007

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
just watched a show about a giant mythicical monitor that is supposed to live in the daintree rainforest, QLD, anyone ever heard of this before? it is called the Megalania.

Not mythical at all.They formed part of the megafauna way back when.

Along with other mega fuana they and many other lifeforms used to thrive in this land before the human 'invasion', habitat destruction and hunting.

I believe the proper name is Varanus priscus, they had grooved teeth to enable more effective venom delivery and probably would have eaten humans much like a lace monitor would eat a rat. Cant say i would like to be eaten by a massive goanna so i guess its not all that bad we wiped them out.

I don't mind if you don't believe this, but I landed in Vietnam on the 7th Jan.1970. Flew from Saigon to Nui Dat (1st Task Force),and took a Land Rover from the strip to 1st Field Regiment HQ.
The road from Luscombe Field to HQ was about 7 mtrs wide, including the cleared edge, and at about 30mtrs we thought there was a tree across the road,until the "tree", which was wider than the 7mtr road, got up on all four legs and took off to our left!
Discretion being the better part of valour, we did'nt stop to check!
What an intro, knowing that soon I would be out there sleeping with whatever that was!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back