Giant Squid Photographed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eco-terrorist, greenpeace, wildlife warrior, wildcare australia wildlife carer, tree hugging dirt worshipper and damn proud of it. :shock:

You don't seriously worship dirt?

Perhaps you shouldnt comment on spelling Junglist*
Australia*
Australians*
Many*
European*

Why are you trying to single out "european australians" as having "eradicated so amny species inside australia".... sounding a little racist yourself Junglist*

Perhaps you didn't finish school, so "i'll" cut you some slack then...

Humans have been causing animal species to become extinct in Australia for thousands of years before "european australians" arrived.

Funny how your quick to claim others are "UNINFORMED", when you dont have a clue.

Not quite sure how the reference to the eradication of many native australian species by European settlers could possibly be racist. It is, 1) a documented fact and 2) hardly racist as i am myself, an Australian of European extraction.

Ok, so the one spelling error you found was a typo, the others were more grammatical errors with respect to the lack of capitalisation of proper nouns. Really quite a small issue.

When you've got a PhD, then you can talk to me about having education levels similar to mine.

Can you name any species which became extinct as a direct result of human interaction before European settlement within the continent of Australia? You said it was a fact, how about some empirical data to go with it????

European settlers in Australia have been directly responsible for species extinction, not only due to direct action ie hunting. But also as a direct result of the introduction of pest and exotic species into ecosystems which cannot maintain the ecosystems present when animals having no native predators multiply to the extent they have here, eg, rabbits, foxes, cats, dogs, horses, cattle, sheep the list goes on and on. New Zealand has had an even harder time with these sorts of species, especially when much of their native fauna is bird life.

But, irrespective of this point, to prevent people/peoples from maintaining a cultural link to their past and their historical diets, are we not claiming that our culture is more meaningful than theirs?? After the indiscretions we or our country has committed can we truly hold the moral high ground with relation to species conservation/extinction??

It is commonly said that if you get onto a high moral horse you had better hold on for dear life, because it is a long fall down into the quagmire which you have been preaching against.

Oh and australis, your use of "your" in the previous post was incorrect, it should have been "you're" as the wordw as used as a contraction of you and are.

Yeah what's wrong with dirt? You're not a [SIZE=-1]Molysomophobic are you?

IsK
[/SIZE]

It's not that I don't like it, it's prefectly useful in its own way, but worshipping it? Come on.

I dont think the point of the anti whaling campaigne is to stay on our "moral high horse" (as you would call it) but rather to stop the impacts on an already fragile ecosystem. All of us realise that we are all to blame for the pointless destruction of many habitats within the world. But i think when we see an oportunity to stop somthing which holds little benefit to anyone (its not even that economically viable) we should take it. I feel in a similar way hurt by the destruction of old growth forrests in tasmania for the production of paper.

It's not that I don't like it, it's prefectly useful in its own way, but worshipping it? Come on.

Maybe it's not so much worshipping dirt as worshipping the ground one walks on. Like I do with my wife. :)

IsK

I dont think the point of the anti whaling campaigne is to stay on our "moral high horse" (as you would call it) but rather to stop the impacts on an already fragile ecosystem. All of us realise that we are all to blame for the pointless destruction of many habitats within the world. But i think when we see an oportunity to stop somthing which holds little benefit to anyone (its not even that economically viable) we should take it. I feel in a similar way hurt by the destruction of old growth forrests in tasmania for the production of paper.

MYTH.

old growth is a laughable definition, it can be used by both sides of the argument (the technical definition is by the way a forest which has not been touched by logging in the past 100 years.)

Greenies use it to provoke an emotive response to logging, which i must add is not a bad thing. If only they would just tell the truth about the situations instead of "oh look they are chopping a tree down, i want to marry that tree, i have to save my lover"

Selective logging is actually beneficial to forest environments because it allows and promotes regenerative growth.

The small plot clear felling in the tarkine forest is actually the safest way to proceed with the operations. And if you look at the actual area cleared in these types of operations, as a percentage of the entire forest, it is infinitesimal.

Again, timber is one of those resources which can continue to be harvested for may years to come as long as it is managed as a resource, and not stripped. whales too can be used ina similar fashion.

Can you name any species which became extinct as a direct result of human interaction before European settlement within the continent of Australia? You said it was a fact, how about some empirical data to go with it????
there were animals being made extinct in australia before europeans came here..quite a few species were eradicated by aboriginal people (not only here but on other continents as well)..
i will find the link i was looking at a while ago and post it for you

It is commonly said that if you get onto a high moral horse you had better hold on for dear life, because it is a long fall down into the quagmire which you have been preaching against

Well then I’m a changed man, off the horse, in the quagmire. Let's Kill and eat everything. It's too hard to stop it, let the killing wheel churn and see what sort of world we have in 20 to 50 years.

Yes mistakes have been made by every race on earth with respect to over harvesting of our environment, but when will it be o.k. for people to ask it to stop. With your rational no one can ever say a word because their own 'race' or 'people' have been responsible for wiping out something either directly or indirectly. If there is 1 valid reason for harvesting whales I would love to hear it.

With respect to animals that have been wiped out by Humans other than Europeans, I'm sure that when the dingo was introduced by Australia's traditional owners it must have had some effect of co**** there is no proof of that. Flame suit on

p.s As I am in finace i'm better with numbers so feel free to go nuts on the grammer and spelling.

The small plot clear felling in the tarkine forest is actually the safest way to proceed with the operations.

Why do we need to do anything there at all, before white people got here it hadnt been touched by humans for millions of years, is it to much to ask that we leave some of these pristine environments and look at them from a far, and maybe let our children do the same.

there were animals being made extinct in australia before europeans came here..quite a few species were eradicated by aboriginal people (not only here but on other continents as well)..
i will find the link i was looking at a while ago and post it for you

not disputing the fact that there may have been some, but the way of life of the nomadic indigenous tribes placed far fewer stresses on the environment than that caused by european invasion. They needed the resources available to them for their return the next cycle.

The extent of the extinctions are the things which need to be looked at and the time frame they happened in.

I am not advocating the hunting of whales to extinction, but the simple fact remains that we need to keep Japan, Norway and other pro whaling nations at the table and talking, because unless we give them some concessions, they will not stop whaling, and may just violate the agreement anyway by collecting all species, not just those they are licensed to collect.

It is not that we should not speak out about things, but we must retain our credibility, and quite frankly, our human rights and our conservation records are pretty flimsy.

If there is 1 valid reason for harvesting whales I would love to hear it.

Makes my woman smell and look good - she needs makeup :p

Tastes good in stew and is a great substitute for chicken (whale, the chicken of the sea)

There's too many of them anyway, slective culling just helps their populations along...

All these reasons are pretty much the reasons they're killed now (except the last one which is an unrealistic expectation of culling whales) with limited conservation effort by Norway and Japan and some other countries (but I can't recall who).

There is no nice way to kill a whale. Here we are in this forum commenting on freezing rats and reptiles as cruelty. This is almost nothing compared to the way the whale is slaughtered. It's a nightmare in comparisson.

Also, the young (pups) are often left as shark fodder. This is a double whammy on the existence of many species of whale.

I am by no means a greenie. I enjoy my meats. Most meat is slaughtered in a reasonable fashioned way - stunned and slit. There is no suffering and my gut is filled with delight knowing such.

Many of you will probably come back at me and suggest I am wrong and have I seen it... The answer is yes, i have seen it, and yes it was done that way. I don't say all meat is killed this way, but it is certainly not chased down with harpoons sticking out of its back while its calf is left to die in the cool waters...

So please don't tell me there is a nesscesity to kill whales! Or giant squid, or endangered tussock plants!

Why do we need to do anything there at all, before white people got here it hadnt been touched by humans for millions of years, is it to much to ask that we leave some of these pristine environments and look at them from a far, and maybe let our children do the same.

Why?? Because they are valuable resources. You do mean except for the indigenous peoples who had been living in the areas for over 40,000 years??? Dont you??? But from your comment i take it that you dont feel our indigenous brothers and sisters are real people.

management of the ecosystems will allow successive generations to view and experience these environments too.

You take a far too simplistic view of the scenarios to imagine that forests are static ecosystems. Australia's fire vulnerability should be evidence enough of this.

She "needs" make up? I think you may need it after she reads that. ;)

IsK

Thanks IsK... I have been keeping this site a secret from her for many moons now... Just my luck she'll stumble across it and read that one line now you've drawn attention to it... thanks so much :p

I love you hunny, it's all a big misunderstanding... no no... just put the suitcase down... hunny... suitcase... down....

junglist, i agree with what you say and also what slim6y says.
i thought id mention the empirical data on pre european arrival extinctions is well documented in answer to the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back