Good beginner snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananapeel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm located in Vic and absolutely love the appearance and personality (from what I've heard) of the Woma Python. I am getting my first snake in less than a year and really want a Woma. However, they are on the advanced list here in Vic. someone else who was from NSW on this website said you weren't allowed womas as a first snake there but I'm not sure if this applies to Vic too. Do you have to start with a basic license first? and if i wasn't planning on keeping any of the venomous snakes on the section 5 list but just a woma, do I need to explain how to handle a venomous snake before getting a license.

Sorry if the questions sound really dumb but I adore womas and if I can get one i definitely will.
Also what's the average price of a woma?
Thanks everyone

I think its the other way around, nsw is allowed but vic requires an advanced liscence. Womas are lovely snakes and everyone who has them, supports them to the fullest so i dont see how you could go wrong.
Im not sure whats involved so im not sure if youd need to learn about venemous species, The average price is around $400 (i think). Just browse the marketplace section on these forrums and find a price.

Thanks heaps DrDrittz. Hopefully I wont need to send in the written thing on how to handle venomous snakes as this does not interest me very much. It's kind of a pain that Womas are on the advanced list but if it is what's best for the species i will fully support it.

So can I get one as a first snake even if they are on the Advanced license list?

You only need to apply for your advanced and send some money in if your over 18. Then you can own inland tai's, browns, crocs etc, etc:?. You dont need to show any handling capabilities:?:?:? Great law:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

yay go womas , you wont be disappointed once they settle in and become comfortable in their surroundings they get up to some of the funniest little things , i filmed my male burrowing , or sub straight swimming as i call it the other night for around 10 mins

i call it sub straight swimming because of the way he does it , some times he acts like an excavator and burrows under things like rocks and his water bowl , but other times he will shove his head into the ground and force himself under the coir peat then he will completely disappear under it , then pop his head up for a few seconds in a toatally random spot (never know where he will pop up) then turn it around and dive back under and repeat like this for hours on end

also , if you get one like my male food times a blast i love the little wiggles and the head bobbing

Move to nsw all the python u want but not gpt have to wait 2yrs :?

hey, i got my woma for $250 and would defiantly recommend them as a first snake they are awesome! heres a care sheet that will tell you abit about them ----> http://www.southernxreptiles.com/Article PDFs/woma_lr.pdf also they are great to handle and never bite- best tempermate- and you only need to house them is a tub with a heat mat with two hides one hot, one cold with a heat mat under the hot side and with a water bowl on the cold and just use paper towel as the substrate ;) hope this helped! :D

never bite- best tempermate-
tell that to my male woma at feed time then , the other night i accidentally dropped the rat into his tub behind him and he didnt notice where it was he just decided "well then im gonna start striking in every single direction until i find it " , he ended up hanging up outside of his tub striking at me then decided he would turn around thats when he spotted it and lunged forward

so they do bite , alot sometimes :)

yay go womas , you wont be disappointed once they settle in and become comfortable in their surroundings they get up to some of the funniest little things , i filmed my male burrowing , or sub straight swimming as i call it the other night for around 10 mins

i call it sub straight swimming because of the way he does it , some times he acts like an excavator and burrows under things like rocks and his water bowl , but other times he will shove his head into the ground and force himself under the coir peat then he will completely disappear under it , then pop his head up for a few seconds in a toatally random spot (never know where he will pop up) then turn it around and dive back under and repeat like this for hours on end

also , if you get one like my male food times a blast i love the little wiggles and the head bobbing

HAHA. That sounds really funny to watch. I have heard they are the comedians of pythons! And they look great too. Just annoying that they are on the advance here in Vic.

HAHA. That sounds really funny to watch. I have heard they are the comedians of pythons! And they look great too. Just annoying that they are on the advance here in Vic.

- - - Updated - - -

East melbourne in the suburbs.

- - - Updated - - -

East melbourne in the suburbs.

- - - Updated - - -

hey, i got my woma for $250 and would defiantly recommend them as a first snake they are awesome! heres a care sheet that will tell you abit about them ----> http://www.southernxreptiles.com/Article PDFs/woma_lr.pdf also they are great to handle and never bite- best tempermate- and you only need to house them is a tub with a heat mat with two hides one hot, one cold with a heat mat under the hot side and with a water bowl on the cold and just use paper towel as the substrate ;) hope this helped! :D

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your Woma from? sounds like a decent price.

also they are great to handle and never bite- best tempermate-

joel you have had the snake for 2 weeks, you are going to get bitten, but thats the same with every snake.

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your Woma from? sounds like a decent price.
hey womagaunt got his woma from sutherland in NSW, he has a tanami woma, so do i :) in the 2 weeks i have had him, i have noticed he is great to hold and is really activee and really nice looking :)

Womas are great and yes it's very easy to get the advanced lincense in Victoria, which is great. If you're going to keep elapids, natural selection will take care of the rest ;)

They make perfect first snakes, very rarely have feeding issues (they're very enthusiastic at feed time and shake their heads, wag their tails), great to handle and perfect medium sized snake.

So are you guys saying that there is no requirement of demonstrating (in written form) the way in which to handle venomous snakes? coz the DSE license application form said people under 18 yrs of age must provide a written demonstration of handling venomous snakes if they wish to own them. "If the applicant or licence holder intends to keep venomous snakes, (and is less than 18 years of age), he/she must include written demonstration of competency in the handling of venomous snakes. Contact the Customer Service Centre on 136-186, for further information." (DSE, http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/__data/as...pplication-for-a-Private-Wildlife-Licence.pdf) from the application sheet.

So are you guys saying that there is no requirement of demonstrating (in written form) the way in which to handle venomous snakes? coz the DSE license application form said people under 18 yrs of age must provide a written demonstration of handling venomous snakes if they wish to own them. "If the applicant or licence holder intends to keep venomous snakes, (and is less than 18 years of age), he/she must include written demonstration of competency in the handling of venomous snakes. Contact the Customer Service Centre on 136-186, for further information." (DSE, http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/__data/as...pplication-for-a-Private-Wildlife-Licence.pdf) from the application sheet.

I have highlighted the key points of your own post that states that you need to provide written demonstration of ven handling competency if you wish to keep them.

Therefore by that wording you needn't worry about providing any written demonstration as you do not intend on keeping venomous snakes.

Last edited:
bananapeel , give that number that is in your last post a cal;l and explain the situation to them , assuming that you just want to keep advanced pythons and no vens , yes? then you shouldn't have a problem with them after all they want your money so if you just explain your not fussed about keeping any vens but want a woma then they should by pass the competency thing for vens but only they can do that so give them a ring asking a forum about licence situations will only get you so far

i remember a thread where someone asked about the legalities of taking their python to school for show and tell :) they where told flat out no buy most members only to call dse or whatever it was and be told it was ok he only had to fill in a form with the dates and place that it was happening :)

yeah good point Rob_N_Son. And thankyou thomasssss. I will definitely give them a call. probably my best option. just wanting any basic advice from here before ringing. So, sorry if it sounded dumb. :/ Also, changing the post subject for a sec, what is the average size of a WA woma. There is a lot of debate on sizing so just an average? It would most likely be a sandfire WA woma (from snake ranch as this is where i MIGHT get my python from) however dont know if this makes a difference whether it's a boodarie, sandfire, pilbara etc size wise. Which of the WA locales is prettiest in your opinion?

My sand fire WAs from Snakeranch are about 4ft. Not huge snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back