Good Day lovers of the Class Reptilia, Order Squamata, Suborder Serpentes/Ophidia.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey.Hodgkinson

Reaction score
I'm new to the snake keeping business,
And am about to purchase a 1 meter childrens python (Antaresia Childreni)

The appropriate "front opening" tank has been built and all i need to purchase is some artificial plants, a heat lamp, a hide and some flooring (moss or other natural flooring to assist in shedding)

Could someone be a love and point me in the right direction of where a good place to buy supplies (im in Noosa QLD)?

I'm also a little confused with the wattage of the heat-lamp i need .....

Many thankssssssss

Regards

Casey

I don't know if there's a good pet store closer to Noosa, but there's a huge pet emporium place in Kawana (i think on Nicklin Way) that has loads of great snake suitable supplies - last time i was there they had EVERYTHING. Also Mooloolaba pets and aquarium or whatever it's called - but they have either moved or closed down so you may want check on that. There is also a pet store on Sugar Rd in Maroochydore that I know sells frozen rats, so I'm assuming the have other reptile supplies.
The wattage of the heat lamp will depend on the size of your enclosure but usually the instructions on the box will give a good indication as to whether you've picked the right one.
There is a kind of substrate that some pet stores sell that is kinda like an artificial moss... but I don't know how easy it is to clean and it's expensive. I would also suggest kitty litter or newspaper. :)

i agree with animal collector and mercurian, i would never put moss as a substrate for a snake ! try something like eco bark, sand, cat litter, or newspaper

anyway Goodluck

Hey all, while we're on the subject of substrate. When i build my new enclosure i'm wondering about sands, i do like the desert sand. So my Q is... do i need to buy the desert sand bagged from a retailer or can i buy sand from a landscaping place?

krazee house - pet shop desert sand has been wash , polluant free, disease free,
you dont were the landscaping company got there sand from or its residues in it

i use white beach sand, desert sand , kitty litter ( newspaper ).
but i prefer kitty litter with the pythons , white sands or deserts with the lizards ( ewd, childrens, olives ,woma, blackheaded , )
all desert dwelling pythons i do use red sand

what are you confused about with the heat lamp wattage

um also i was just wondering what is marine, indoor/outdoor carpet like in a stimsons python cage i recon it would look nicer than newspaper and just take it out swap with another peice then hose dirty one off just wanna know ur thoughts

Ummmm... mainly just how to fix it to the lid i've made haha ... the enclosure i was looking at is no longer available so i've built one but am having some thoughts about how to fix the lamp to the lid and what sort of mesh/lattice to shield the lamp from my new family member ...

Thanks REPTILIAN-KMAN that's what i thought. I am thinking of getting a woma soon so will keep the sand in mind for sure. I've got artificial grass in with my Atherton boy and it's easy to take out and hose down.. he enjoys his time getting sprayed too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back