Goodbye Nymph

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OuZo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Well after about 18 months of trying to cure our sick coastal we've finally tonight had him put to sleep :cry: . It's really sad cos he's been so tough and fought so hard (yeah yeah I know I'm a sook but he's been through so much). After a second surgery and biopsies of his stomach not one pathologist in the lab had even a remote idea what was wrong with him. We ruled out a few things like Lymphoma, Crypto, OPMV and IBD but other than that they don't know. As a last ditch effort we tried a course of cortisone to reduce the inflammation but it didn't do anything. He was the BEST snake to treat...since he got sick we've had to give him daily injections a few times and put a tube down his throat to give him fluids when he was dehydrated and he never once bit...well, he'd have a piece of you if you went into his cage but out he was a complete sweetie when out ;). He put up with everything like a champion and it's really sad to see him go :cry: . I know most people would think we're idiots for doing so much for a coastal but I think he deserved the chance. He'll definitely be missed :(

Damn thought he might have been going to pull through, it's tough to give the go ahead for putting them down but after that long it's definatly the best thing.

Sorry to hear Guys

Steve and Naomi.

oh zoe, i am so sorry to hear for your loss. treating him and giving him so much care and giving him a big chance was not a mistake.

andrew

He was a good snake, put up with a lot, but kept fighting.

over the last 18mths he lost 200 grams in weight, which isn't bad for a non eating snake. Although we did get him on day old chicks for a few weeks, but that was too short lived. Since his last surgery 3 weeks ago he lost 90grams of weight. I feel that he was rapidly going to start losing weight now, and although deciding what to do tonight was hard, feel it was the right thing to do.

Try not to think about him passing, but more the postives. We both had to learn so much over this time, which will help us in the future. Some ppl are lucky and don't have any dramas and just cruze along for ten years with no issues. We are and were newbies in the game when this issue was first drawn to our attention and we feel it has put us further in our years of experience then we have actually done.

i won't for a second regret anything we tried. We heard a lot of 'its only a coastal; but with any animal you try your best, you do what you can, you take responsibilty the moment you buy it, and bring it into your care.

R.I.P Nymph, sorry it was to no avail

we spoke about it, and saw no point. We had already taken samples from all over only 3 weeks ago and no one knew what to do. No other animal shows any signs, so we decided it was best to just leave him be, he's gone through so much, just let him rest now.

Our thoughts are with you guys :(
RIP lil Nymphus and chin up Zo-hun :(
Bex and Luke xoxo

I am so sorry about your loss, I have been following his sad story for sometime and it is very sad to see him go. But like Luke said you need to look on the positive side, you learned alot and helped alot of people understand what can happen and how to help. :cry:
He is in a better place with no pain and you need to remeber what a trooper he was not how sick he was!

(Sorry no preaching, sounds sappy but we lost our little snake too because the Vets didn't know and I was sad for ages, I also took the day off from work to stay home and cry :oops: , so idiot does not even come into the equation).

They are little pieces of your family, they grow on you even if people think it is just a pet, maybe he is but he shares your life so he is important :(

Regards
Anne

Zoe and Souly, I am so sorry to hear about the decision you both had to make. All three of you tried so hard and for so long.

None of this "only a coastal" nonsense. He was a beloved pet and friend.

My thoughts are with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back