Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yours is an ackie though isn't it Torah?
They're a bit "special" in the monitor world as they seem to calm down much more easily than virtually any others

So ready to be flamed !

But some of you know I got a tiny monitor (4month old O.J) about a week maybe two ago and hes great , already comes up and takes crickets out of my hand. Ive only handled him once (putting him from chinese container to click-clack thingy)..And he didnt seem worried at all , was rubbing the sand off his face onto me etc..

In saying that I wonder could it just come down to the individual monitor like it does pythons ???

Torah, some monitors will take to handling better than others, like pythons. Ackies are generally a little more amendable to handling than alot of other species. My Gouldii did the same thing though when being transferred, it also showed little fear about being moved, though once it got a chance to warm up, it kicked into gear! What i'm saying is that if you try to handle the monitor now, it will probably play out a little differently, as now it is settled a bit more and fully alert of it's new surroundings. Don't be fooled! And make sure you remain patient with it, as it is well worth it in the end.

yes it is an ackie Saximus :).....
sorry should have mentioned that ..... I didnt know they seemed to calm down much more easily than any others :). I chose well for me then lol

Torah, some monitors will take to handling better than others, like pythons. Ackies are generally a little more amendable to handling than alot of other species. My Gouldii did the same thing though when being transferred, it also showed little fear about being moved, though once it got a chance to warm up, it kicked into gear! What i'm saying is that if you try to handle the monitor now, it will probably play out a little differently, as now it is settled a bit more and fully alert of it's new surroundings. Don't be fooled! And make sure you remain patient with it, as it is well worth it in the end.

:( now im worried lol ....narr ill give him another week and then Im having a cuddle ! Ill let you all know how this handling goes ... :)

yes it is an ackie Saximus :).....
sorry should have mentioned that ..... I didnt know they seemed to calm down much more easily than any others :). I chose well for me then lol
:( now im worried lol ....narr ill give him another week and then Im having a cuddle ! Ill let you all know how this handling goes ... :)

Trying to give new monitors a 'cuddle' is never a great idea. Firstly let it get used to you being around and keep hand feeding until it is much more comfortable in its new home. If you try to dictate terms and go grabbing at it, you will lose its trust and progress will go backwards. Let it make the moves, and its trust will build in you! I've had mine for 7months and I am yet to handle it.

are u sure its a male blake,it looks tiny compared to my 2 males,i guess its yearling and has to fill out,but for 70 cm length males normale start to tank out more,ill have to put a pic up of my big male with the female i used to have to show u what i mean

are u sure its a male blake,it looks tiny compared to my 2 males,i guess its yearling and has to fill out,but for 70 cm length males normale start to tank out more,ill have to put a pic up of my big male with the female i used to have to show u what i mean

I'm not sure of sex yet Richard, I just tend to refer to it as a 'he' sometimes.. So it could well be a 'she'!
A photo would be great to show the comparison of the two though.

asset.jpg31122009574.jpg

heres a pic of my 2 male flavies with a large gouldi gouldi/flavie gouldi cross,id say gouldi,note dark color and spots in back pattern,plus more banded appearing tail,the 2nd pic is of a slightly smaller male flavie that the previous owner of mine also had,i think it was 2 there and just over a metre long,i have a pic of my biggest male with the female flavie on his back and she looked tiny in comparison,not as solid,head alot smaller ect,cant find the pic though,but will check on my lappy,as i think its on there,but the big one in the 2nd pic by it self was a hatchy when the old female i had was quite a few years old,and he quickly outgrew her,think i have a pic somewhere of him trying to mate my female to,he made her look like a ridgey,and she was at least 7 years old

That's very interesting mate. I'll have to get a couple of good current pictures for you to have a look at soon. I can't enlarge those pictures you've attached so it is a little harder to tell, but i'm definitely hearing you about the size difference. I'm loving hearing about all this, I haven't really had too much to do with many other Flavi/Gouldii keepers.

Size difference between adult male and female Sand Monitors.

View attachment 203237View attachment 203236View attachment 203235View attachment 203234View attachment 203233

Here are some photos of what use to be my 5 adult Desert Sand Monitors- Varanus Gouldii Flavirufus, these are all pure un-related Desert Sand Monitor's, that were collected on permit from the wild in Alice Springs NT, between February 2001 and March 2002.

Here you can see the males a much more bigger in size and weight compared to the females, the photo where you see 1 adult Desert Sand Monitor, was one of my 3 adult females l use to have has part of my breeding program.:)

You can also see a male Sandie mating with one of the female Sandie's, and see the size difference between the 2 of them.

Last edited:
6.jpg
thanks les,heres another pic les took of his young male trying to mate the older female,as you can see the male on top is quite young there,im not sure on the females age but would assume at least 7

They're some nice Flavis! I'd like to have the space, time and money for 5 of them.. but unfortunately I don't!
There really is a massive difference between the Male and Female animals, this has got me thinking now!
Thanks for the pictures guys, they're great!

View attachment 203239
thanks les,heres another pic les took of his young male trying to mate the older female,as you can see the male on top is quite young there,im not sure on the females age but would assume at least 7

This female you see here mating with what was one of my 3 adult male Desert Sand Monitor's, l got her on permit from the wild in March 2002, and she would have been roughly around 3 years old in early 2002, the male trying to mate with the female was born in captivity in August 2006 at the Alice Springs Reptile Centre, and l got it in September 1 month later 2006.

Great info Les & Richard !!! a topic that is clearly dear to you both......

Great info Les & Richard !!! a topic that is clearly dear to you both......
Joe, lt shaw is great information in regards to Sand Monitors, and you are spot on that this topic is clearly dear to Richard and myself Les, we both really do love Sand Monitors especially the true desert phase Varanus Gouldii Flavirufus, that l use to keep and breed between early 2001 and late 2009.

so roughly 10 and a half years old in that pic with the male les,and him around 3
Richard, l would say the female flavi in the photo is roughly around 10 and half years old, and the male flavi trying to mate with her was 3 years old.:)

thanks les,heres another pic les took of his young male trying to mate the older female
I'm happy to see someone else posting photos of their monitors mating (or trying to mate) on the floor of their living area!

Haha maybe you guys have stumbled on a secret special spot where the mood is just right :p

This is all great information guys, thanks alot for sharing!

View attachment 203630View attachment 203629View attachment 203628

Here you can see in the photo on the right 2 adult male Desert Sand Monitors trying to mate together, hope these 2 have not turned to being gay hahaha, the photo in the middle you can see 1 male trying to mate with 1 female, the photo on the left you can see a family of 5 adult Desert Sand Monitors l use to keep and breed, here there is 3 females and 2 males.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back