Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's alot of Sandies! The difference in sex is really noticeable when you have them together to compare like that.
Did you ever have any issues with keeping them all together?

That's alot of Sandies! The difference in sex is really noticeable when you have them together to compare like that.
Did you ever have any issues with keeping them all together?
Blake, Yes you can see the difference in sex when you have them together as a group like l did, l sure did have some issues with keeping this many together in a outdoor enclosure, l had to keep them all seperate from each other at feed time, or else one of the males would attack one of the females, by trying to pull the weaner rat out of their mouth, why they are trying to eat it whole just like Snakes do, sometimes l myself copped a serious bite from one of them, that required stitches that my local GP had to do, or l would go into a hospital emergency department and wait until they could see me, let me tell you these bites were so painfull and thats why l no-longer keep and breed Sand Monitors, but l sure do miss not having them here with me in my home, they were awesome to look at.

I love watching mine scoff down the rats and mice whole, it's something you only really think of snakes as doing initially. I can only imagine what it would be like if you were to feed them together, even with my single animal, it gets pretty lively when there is the smell of rodent in the air. It's like a switch is flicked inside them and bang, they're on!

Also it's good to hear a personal account of these bites/injuries, as people are generally a bit hesitant to admit bites from monitors I think. It really shows that even with very experienced keepers, they are very dangerous animals, and deserve alot of respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back